none
How to deploy WinCE 7 runtime image on target system using USB drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm very new to WinCE . I have system with 1.6 GHz intel atom 510 processor, 1GB ram, 320GB HDD. I'm trying to build run time image using platform builder.  Please  tell me steps i have follow inorder to copy runtime image to target device. Which are the file i need to copy to target device.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:22 PM

All replies

• There is so much that we don't know about your system and you, so providing steps would be very difficult.

One way would be to hook that HDD to your PC and place the OS on the drive.   Another would be to boot the system to some OS and copy the OS from one drive to another.   Another way would be to use KITL to connect your dev PC to the system and download the OS.

You will need to set up your boot disk to use LoadCEPC or BIOSLoader.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Thanks for your replay.

I had copied image to usb thumb drive, then boot my target machine through thumb drive

I had created  partition primary (C:) and set it to active.  and copied image to HDD.

I had copied only NK.bin to target system.  but its not booting.

Which are the file i need to copy to target device. ? target device is lenovo q150.

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:25 AM
  • You will need to set up your boot disk to use LoadCEPC or BIOSLoader.  Check help for information about these.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:13 PM
  • The process followed to develop a bootable USB flash drives is shown as follows.
    1. Firstly MS DOS 7.1 was installed on the USB drive following a procedure given by (<http://www.jamesonline.ca/file-cabinet)
    2. The next step was to extract the content of “C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\CEPC\SRC\BOOTLOADER\DOS\BOOTDISK\DISKIMAGE\cepcboot.144” at any folder. This file was extracted using WinImage software provided by (Vollant n.d.). Copy the following extracted files onto the root of the USB key.
    autoexec.bat, config.sys, eboot.bin, sboot.bin, loadcepc.exe and vesatest.exe,
    Overwrite the files if necessary.
    3. Copy the HIMEM.SYS file from DOS71 directory to the root of the USB Drive. This hast to be done to allow memory access to the bootloader beyond first 1MB of address space to load the operating system.

Kashyap Gada

gadak@uni.coventry.ac.uk

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Thank you very much Kashyap Gada. 
    Monday, February 13, 2012 3:56 AM
  • From my vendor cataloge  (the way works for me) , here are the steps :

Now only difference is that , in floppy section i used The Hp utility or Open Dos usb boot maker , and then i Copying files  like  "loadcepc.exe +nk.bin" into cool disk.

Make Floppy Disk

Here is information from help of Platform Builder to make a boot floppy disk for Windows CE:

1. Navigate to the “%ProgramFiles%\Windows CE Platform Builder\5.00\CEPB\Utilities” directory, and then run WebSetup.exe to install utility programs to the default Microsoft Windows directory on your development workstation. You only need to install WebSetup.exe once.

2. On your development workstation, insert a blank 3.5-inch floppy disk in the floppy disk drive. From the “%ProgramFiles%\Windows CE Platform Builder\5.00\CEPB\Utilities” directory, run CEPCBoot.144. You can also run CEPCBoot.144 from the command line.

3. If your floppy disk is not already blank and formatted, in the Web Image NT window, check the Format before making disk box. This causes WebSetup.exe to format the boot floppy disk with MS-DOS 6.22 before copying the CEPCBoot.144 disk image to the boot floppy disk.

4. In the Web Image NT window, choose A Drive. This copies the CEPCBoot.144 disk image to the boot floppy disk.

5. Choose Cancel to close the Web Image NT window.

Make DOM with FAT File System

After those steps, you will have a boot floppy disk to make DOM booting with Windows. Before that, you have to partition and format DOM. Here are steps:

1. Using the floppy disk to boot into MS-DOS. Run “fdisk.exe” to create a primary partition.

2. Set primary partition as “active”.

3. Reboot.

4. If you want to use DOS loadcepc.exe to load Windows CE, run “format C: /s” to make DOM DOS bootable. Or, run “format C:” for using x86 BIOS loader.

Now, you have a DOM with FAT file system. To load Windows CE image, there are two methods:

Using DOS LOADCEPC.EXE

1. Make sure your DOM is DOS bootable. You should run “format c: /s” to transfer MS-DOS boot files. Or, run

“sys c:” to transfer boot files.

2. Copy autoexec.bat, config.sys, himem.sys and loadcepc.exe from floppy disk onto DOM.

3. This is optional step. You can modify config.sys as:

device=himem.sys /testmem:off dos=high

4. This is optional step. You can modify autoexec.bat as:

@echo off loadcepc.exe nk.bin

5. If step 3 and 4 are skipped, you have to select “Boot CE/PC (local nk.bin)” while DOM is booting.

6. Refer “Copy Windows CE Image onto DOM” section to transfer NK.BIN.

7. Now, DOM will boot into DOS and load Windows CE.

Using x86 BIOS Loader

Before using BIOS boot loader, you have to correct the bug in x86 BIOS loader. Open \WINCE500\PUBLIC\COMM ON\OAK\CSP\X86\BIOSLOADER\LOADER\fat.h and modify READ_BUFFER_LENGTH_MAX constant from “0x4000” to “0x3000”. Then, rebuild BIOS loader. (Move cursor mouse over “BIOSLOADER (excluded from build)” and press right button -> Build Current Project).

After building boot loader, Copy \WINCE500\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\CSP\X86\BIOSLOADER\LOADER\bldr to the floppy disk to replace old one. Follow those steps to install x86 BIOS loader:

1.      Using the floppy disk to boot.
    2.      Run “mkdisk c:”. It will install x86 BIOS loader onto DOM.
    3.      Modify the boot.ini on DOM. Find the “BinFile” in boot.ini. If it is not “BinFile=nk.bin”, correct it.
    4.      Refer “Copy Windows CE Image onto DOM” section to transfer NK.BIN.
    5.      Now, you DOM will boot without DOS and show splash BMX file to load Windows CE.

Copy Windows CE Image onto DOM

Here are some references for developer to copy NK.BIN onto DOM:

1. If second IDE slot in your PC is free and your DOM is 40 pins (or using ICOP-0094 for 44-pin DOM), set DOM as master IDE device and plug it onto second IDE. Boot your PC and a new hard disk will appear in Windows. Copy NK.BIN onto DOM.

2. If you want to install DOM as slave IDE device on first IDE slot, set DOM as slave IDE device and plug it onto ICOP-0094. Connect IDE cable to ICOP-0094 and boot your PC. A new hard disk will appear in your Windows. Copy NK.BIN onto DOM.

3. If you have USB pen drive and using Windows 98 to make it MS-DOS 7.0 bootable, copy NK.BIN onto USB pen driver. Plug it into your Vortex86/Vega86 board. Turn on board and enter BIOS setup. Select USB storage as first boot device to boot. Using USB pen drive to boot and copy NK.BIN from it to DOM.

4. After those steps, make sure that your DOM is master IDE device to boot Windows CE.

If your DOM can not work, plug power to try.

Best Regard

Ahad porkar

• Edited by Ahad porkar Monday, February 13, 2012 10:44 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Dear All ,

I can't find file such as WebSetup.exe, and cepcboot.144 in windows ce 7.0  in my
    installation

I can not use Floppy Disk.

when i run format c: or format C: /s   on my target device, it shows unable to find format.com  

I formated HDD manually (FAT32). set it to active. Then i run mkdisk c:  then for CESYS.exe its showing Error : drive  (-b 6XXX ).  drive  should be C: D:

What could I do if want to generate a boot image for x86 architecture?
    Could anyone give me some suggestions?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:43 AM
  • The process followed to develop a bootable USB flash drives is shown as follows.
    1. Firstly MS DOS 7.1 was installed on the USB drive following a procedure given by (<http://www.jamesonline.ca/file-cabinet)
    2. The next step was to extract the content of “C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\CEPC\SRC\BOOTLOADER\DOS\BOOTDISK\DISKIMAGE\cepcboot.144” at any folder. This file was extracted using WinImage software provided by (Vollant n.d.). Copy the following extracted files onto the root of the USB key.
    3. Copy the HIMEM.SYS file from DOS71 directory to the root of the USB Drive. This hast to be done to allow memory access to the bootloader beyond first 1MB of address space to load the operating system.

Kashyap Gada

gadak@uni.coventry.ac.uk

Hi!

I have followed the steps above (system is the same CE7, want to boot up using DOS on USB) although when the system starts up I get the following error messages:

"ERROR: Unable to control A20 line! XMS Driver not installed"

"Warning: the high memory area (HMA) is not available. ...

HIMEM.SYS must be loaded"

Any suggestions what I'm missing?

(get the HIMEM.SYS error also when I try load the OS from the dos prompt (loadcepc.exe nk.bin))

BR

Frank

Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:47 AM

Kashyap Gada

gadak@uni.coventry.ac.uk

Hi!

I have followed the steps above (system is the same CE7, want to boot up using DOS on USB) although when the system starts up I get the following error messages:

"ERROR: Unable to control A20 line! XMS Driver not installed"

"Warning: the high memory area (HMA) is not available. ...

HIMEM.SYS must be loaded"

Any suggestions what I'm missing?

(get the HIMEM.SYS error also when I try load the OS from the dos prompt (loadcepc.exe nk.bin))

BR

Frank

Make sure you have the HIMEM.SYS file in the root of the USB drive.
    Also you have to check your CONFIG.SYS for the line:

[COMMON]
    DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS

If these lines aren't there just add them to your CONFIG.SYS, if you haven't got the CONFIG.SYS file add it.

Just for info, XMS stands for eXtended Memory Specification, and that's exactly what HIMEM.SYS enables for you. 

Wian

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:16 PM
  • @Frank

Try using DiskPrep utility.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/DiskPrep 

Saturday, December 8, 2012 7:45 AM