View a page/list/library as a specific person or security group RRS feed

• Question

• Facebook do this well. I can view my FB page as a specific person or group to see what they would see on my page.

Is there a way in SharePoint for me to be able to view a page, list or library as a user or security group (example Visitors) of my choice to see what they would?

Logging in as them isn't conducive in my environment as all passwords are to be kept private and even knowing another users PW can get you fired.

I know I could request to get a dummy user profile and PW, throw that user in the relevant sec. group and then log in as them  but I'm really looking for a VIEW AS solution please.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:40 AM

Answers

• The only way I know of doing this is with the dummy accounts, as you suggested yourself. I can definitely see the usefulness of a "View As" feature, it would be great for quick testing, but ultimately I think you'll need the dummy accounts anyway when it comes to testing how stuff ouside the browser (Office applications, Open with Windows Explorer etc) works.

Personally I tend to work with a dual screen setup and with one screen I remote desktop to a test client, log into it with a dummy account and use it for testing while I compare or make changes as needed on the other screen. It works pretty well, you can see both/multiple viewpoints at once and I'm not constantly using the "Welcome" control to log in and out of accounts (which is the main benefit :) ).

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:41 PM

All replies

• HI,

You can use mysites in sharepoint for the same. The myHome page of your mysite will be visible to you only and myProfile page will be visible to others.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:03 AM
  • You can use traget audience feature on the webpart to target the user and customize the page for different users . 

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:14 PM
  • My Sites are more aimed at Collaboration on an indivual level and having a private space.  I wouldn't really encopurage it as a content targeting solution.

What you could use, as suggested is an audience profile.  This allows you to set specific content (think web parts, pages and so on) for specific audiences.  Please note that this is NOT an authentication mechanism, it's just about data presentation.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Tilosh, thanks for replying.

I'm not looking for a target audience solution sorry, I'm looking for a feature that allows me as an admin to view a page as a specific user/group. This would show me what lists/libraries are available, web parts and navigational links. Like I mentioned in the question, in FB, you can view your page as [choose user] and it shows you what the users sees.

Currently, the process is publish, remote or walk to the specific user and get them to open the page. I was trying to find out if there was an easier way.

JB

Monday, January 2, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Hi, just a thought you can create a page or webpart page where you can show the customized content according the anonymous user permission on the content. 
    Anil
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:45 AM
  • The only way I know of doing this is with the dummy accounts, as you suggested yourself. I can definitely see the usefulness of a "View As" feature, it would be great for quick testing, but ultimately I think you'll need the dummy accounts anyway when it comes to testing how stuff ouside the browser (Office applications, Open with Windows Explorer etc) works.

Personally I tend to work with a dual screen setup and with one screen I remote desktop to a test client, log into it with a dummy account and use it for testing while I compare or make changes as needed on the other screen. It works pretty well, you can see both/multiple viewpoints at once and I'm not constantly using the "Welcome" control to log in and out of accounts (which is the main benefit :) ).

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:41 PM
  • I'm thinking the same thing. It would be a useful tool but dummy accounts is how I'm going to achieve this.

Thanks for replying.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:33 PM