none
Identity Column through WebService? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a simple TypedDataSet with a Customer DataTable, all I want is to have database identity values to be returned to my client types DataSet after an update. I looked almost everywhere to find and answer, I got one for untyped DataSet but none for Typed, I would be very glad if someone could help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Carlos,

Could you please describe your setup?  Are you exposing data from a database using a webservice?  Does the webmethod signature use your typed DataSet?  When you say "after an update", who updates what?

Also, please forgive my ignorance, but what are "database identity values"?  Could you please point me to the feature on DataSet that you want to find the equivalent for when using a typed DataSet?

Thanks.

Daniel Roth

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Ok

I have Visual Studio 2005 on Windows XP SP2, I developed a simple database application solution with three projects in it, CustomerPL (Presentation Layer - Windows Form Application), CustomerWL (WebService Layer - WebService Application) and CustomerDL (Database Layer - Class Library). I have a Typed DataSet with only one DataTable on CustomerDL, the Customer DataTable, the Typed DataSet is referenced from CustomerDL on CustomerPL and on CustomerWL.

Ok, now let's see how it works (or at least should work!), I edit the Typed DataSet on the presentation layer and send it to a WebMethod UpdateCustomer that receiveis a DataSet (an untyped one), the WebMethod on the WebService updates the data and returns it as a DataSet to my presentation layer that gets inserted Customers duplicates when I merge the result from WebService on my local Typed DataSet.

To see a more detailed explation of the problem see the link below, but the link below treats the problem using Untyped DataSets and I need to solve the problem using typed ones...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320301/en-us

This other link show a solution that I find while answering for you...but I Still want to know if there is another way to solve...

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2319562&SiteID=1

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:44 PM
  • I'm going to move this thread to the ADO.NET forum so that you can get better assistance.

Daniel Roth

Monday, April 21, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Thank you very much, I hope someone can help me! :-)
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:56 PM