none
Formal names on maps RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I would like to ask why are the political names on the Bing map used in case of Czechia and Slovakia. I'am talking only about the Czech version of the map. On the English(American) one, the name Slovakia is used properly. There's issue only with the Czech Republic, where the proper name should be Czechia, not Czech Rep.

Thank you.

Monday, April 8, 2019 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Honzik9723,

The maps are tuned to the Region setting of your browser or call to allow for the version of the map to be shown.  If you feel there is an issue with the names, please don't hesitate to provide the full proof of the invalid naming.  While I can't speak to the specifics of any particular setting, many governments demand particular legal namings for their regions and that is often the reason that a map is shown differently when you set a region & culture code.

Sincerely,

IoTGIrl

Monday, April 8, 2019 3:51 PM
    Owner
  • <g class="gr_ gr_29 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="29" id="29">Hello</g> here you see the correct naming in all language of the EU! 

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/czechia_en

Best regards

Vaclav

• Proposed as answer by Alena Rybová Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alena Rybová Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:40 PM
  • Formal names are inappropriate in maps and all other geographic publications. Moreover, no local authorities of a particular country would object to using the short, geographic name that they themselves announced to the UNO to be included in the databases. So, Czechia has been the official English translation for Česko since 2016.
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Czechia has been the official geographic name of the country being included in the UN List of World Geographical Names (UNGEGN) 

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/geonames

the United Nations Terminology Database (UNTERM)
    https://unterm.un.org/UNTERM/Display/Record/UNHQ/NA/4275087d-4018-4082-899d-95f37efeda65
    The name is codified by ISO 3166 Standards
    https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:CZ

Combining the political name of a state with geographical names of other states is unsuitable, stylistically clumsy, and mannered. More, the governments of well-established countries are not usually obsessed by transient political name of their countries and if, it is the result of the fact their country does not have geographic one (the Dominican Republic, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo. Czechia has more than 1200 years of existence......

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:58 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

I have escalated this for review but please understand that as Microsoft/Bing, we are not the authority that validates geopolitical naming.  Other agencies decide and we display what they dictate.  With that said, I have passed a link to this discussion to the Bing Maps channel for their input.  I can't give you a timeline or guarantee a result but I can confirm it is in their backlog.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:10 PM
    Owner
  • Hello loTGirl,

as I noticed the Bing maps replaced old name "Swaziland" by its new name Eswatini this week.

I'am curious how does it look like with Czechia? In some Bing/Microsoft settings I already found Czechia instead of the long form Czech Republic. But, how much more time do I need wait until Czechia appears on the map?

And what about the Czech mutation of Bing maps? It is rarity to see Slovenská republika(Slovak Republic) instead of Slovensko (Slovakia). Maybe the original purpose was just simply not to make "Česká republika" only one Republic in Europe.

Thank you for any response.

Friday, February 21, 2020 2:10 PM
  • Hi Honzik9723,

My previous answer still stands.  Microsoft is not the authority for geopolitical naming. We do get validation from other worldwide providers and agencies so if the Official Government of a place or region issues an update, we will get it from our suppliers as well.

When you look at a Bing Map, pay attention to the bottom corner.  That outlines all of the providers in use to give you that map.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl 

Friday, February 21, 2020 11:27 PM
    Owner
  • Hello,

on that map, it shows that the provider is HERE. 

HERE already have "Czechia" on their maps (open HERE WeGo online, enter "Czechia").

Maybe Microsoft needs to update the map to show current data, idk.

Best,

JindřichK

Monday, February 24, 2020 7:44 PM
  • Hi JindřichK

Again, it seems to be a matter of formal vs informal names.  Note that even Wikipedia does not make the call as if you search for Czechia you get the following page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Czechia)

"Czechia" redirects here. For other uses, see Czechia (disambiguation) and Czech Republic (disambiguation).

The Czech Republic is also known by its short-form name, Czechia

That note aside, I have brought attention to that HERE maps uses the informal name to the Bing Maps team to evaluate.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 12:32 AM
    Owner
  • Czechia is member of the EU. EU is using the short name everywhere, it belongs to maps, thank you.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/czechia_en

Google maps, Apple maps, Here maps, TomTom etc. all are on Czechia. It's time to switch.

Vaclav Sulista

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 7:24 AM
  • Hello loTGirl,

In this case with Bing Maps, I think instead of Wikipedia (which is a project of arguable credibility) you should've rather mention:

Google Maps

Apple Maps

TomTom Maps

Esri 

or

Mapbox

All of them, including HERE, use "Czechia" and not "Czech Republic". Bing Maps technically remains the last of all major map services which haven't adjusted for the change.

Regards,

JindřichK

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 9:27 AM
  • Hi JindřichK

I am not sure how to be clearer but Bing Maps are definitely biased to use formal names rather than short form versions. We are listening to your feedback thought and, as I stated above, I have brought this to the attention of the Bing Maps team to evaluate.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 9:05 PM
    Owner
  • Just for completeness since "Microsoft" was called out a few times in this thread. This is not a Microsoft wide issue. Azure Maps, another Microsoft mapping platform does use the new name: https://azuremapscodesamples.azurewebsites.net/index.html?sample=Map%20Localization
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 6:51 AM
  • This is great, thanks a lot, Ricky!
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 3:28 PM
  • Dear IoTGirl

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I am using the German version and it's only Czechia which has the formal name on in the German language, all other countries are using the short, geographic name.

Best regards

vaclav

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 3:37 PM
  • Dear Vaclav,

Thank you for the clarification and description of your usage. This has been escalated to the Microsoft Maps and Geospatial team which does offer the public Bing Maps UI.  As noted by Ricky, this is not powered by Azure Maps but rather a collection of various providers so tightly curated and therefore may take more time to validate geopolitical name changes and their impact.

UPDATE:  There is now a work stream in place for this issue.  While I can't provide a timeline, the review process has been completed and will result in a deployed fix.

Sincere thanks,

IoTGirl

Thursday, February 27, 2020 5:06 PM
    Owner
  • I do hope the Microsoft Maps and Geospatial team will look into this. Czechia is the short AND official name of the country.
    Friday, March 6, 2020 5:33 PM
  • Hi Vitnv,

Please provide the Culture code, Browser and link you are using to see the issue and I will hand it to the team to verify the change.  My understanding is that the edits are in process at this point but will require full worldwide validation for deployment.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 9, 2020 5:22 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks a lot, IoTGirl!
    Saturday, March 14, 2020 10:33 AM
  • Hi Vaclav,

You are very welcome!  If you still see an issue please give the details of the browser, location and culture code for the team to reproduce the exact issue.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 16, 2020 4:11 AM
    Owner
  • Hello Everyone,

I have been informed that this issue has been addressed by the data team and should be fully deployed within the next two weeks.  Please do respond with any links and culture code if you find an area where this name is incorrect.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, March 26, 2020 7:22 PM
    Owner
  • Dear loTGirl,

thank you many times for help with fixing outdated names.

To our issue - I have tried to check what does the map show in various lanugages and it is quite diverse.

In Czech language (Čeština): apart from "Česká republika" which has to be "Česko", the Slovakia name is incorrect as well. The map shows "Slovenská republika" (Slovak Republic) instead of Slovensko (Slovakia).

In Italian language (italiano): it is the same; on the map there are "Repubblica Ceca" and "Repubblica Slovacca" when the right names are "Cechia" and "Slovacchia".

Other curiosity: the Russian says "Чешская Республика" and the Ukrainian says "Чехия" correctly. the Finnish language is partly correct. The map shows Tšekki-Tšekinmaa.

Hope this will be helpful.

Best regards

Honzik9723

Sunday, March 29, 2020 3:27 PM
  • Thanks Honzik, I have added your notes to the current issue for tracking.
    Sunday, March 29, 2020 7:04 PM
    Owner
  • Hello loTGirl,

thanks a lot for your message. I'm very much looking forward to the update!

All the best,

JindřichK

Sunday, March 29, 2020 9:07 PM
  • Hello JindřichK,

The latest date I have for this data drop is April 13th but it will hopefully deploy before that date.  Once that happens, please do not hesitate to follow up further with areas that may have been missed.  

As I stated before, Bing Maps is a world-wide offering and in order to get the best regional detail available we partner with multiple data providers then stitch it all together to produce the world wide map.  That can mean that we can have different providers with conflicting values for the same detail item.  When we do a complex fix such as this, we do push the request back to all data providers such that they should in turn update their service as well.  As you can imagine, this turn around is often what takes the longest and, should the provider not update their data, it also can, rarely, reintroduce issues we have fixed.

Please accept my thanks for your follow up as well.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 30, 2020 11:18 PM
    Owner
  • Can you please let them to check the Norwegian language? "CZ" is shown on the map properly in local language, but "SK" is very strange. It has its full name in the bracket that is very rare to see in all Scandinavian languages.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 11:16 AM
  • Can you outline this fully like you did above?  What situation does the team need to replicate to see the CZ & SK?
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 5:51 PM
    Owner
  • Thursday, April 2, 2020 4:49 PM
  • Yes, sure.

Each language has a kind of different country naming. Easy example: in the Bing maps language settings, I choose norsk(Norwegian lang.) to see maps in this particular language. If I find "SK", the name for "SK" is Slovakia (Den Slovakiske Republikk).

• Marked as answer by Honzik9723 Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:34 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Honzik9723 Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:35 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:24 PM
  • Thank you for the great illustration of this issue. This is exactly what I'm trying to talk about.

Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:30 PM
  • The current fixes in the pipeline should be deployed next week so I would expect the results to be available worldwide the week after that barring any unforeseen delay.
    Friday, April 3, 2020 9:44 PM
    Owner
  • Amazing! The new name for "CZ" country has appeared. However, in the locate me menu, name is not correct. All language equivalents replace "Cesko" (correct form is Česko). While this is to be used just in Czech and Slovak language.

After they fix "CZ" in all language mutations, I hope they repair "SK" as well.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 5:51 PM
  • Hi Honzik,

This is the MSDN forum so I work with Developer APIs and back end data.  Can you report the Locate Me issue through the feedback interface?  I think that is a Bing Experience rather than a Bing Map.

I can also report it but I do need the steps and details of your location as I can't replicate your behavior from Vancouver BC Canada.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 3:39 PM
    Owner
  • I did the report yesterday and today's morning the "CZ" country name was reverted back in all languages mutations.

At least, the name of "CZ" in the locate me menu has remained and contains Czech diacritics (Česko). It seems it is in the process. Let's wait and we will see.

Friday, April 17, 2020 12:04 PM
  • Hi Honzik,

The CZ fix is in process but it does require a round of updates with a request to the provider to fix and then a validated pass back to our platform.  Note we have added a separate request for "SK" review to the data provider so that is now also in process.

Update: Czechia should now be fixed.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 5:05 PM
    Owner