The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved. RRS feed

• Question

• User-899943225 posted

Hello everyone,

I have a web application and a web service developed in VS2003 & .NET 1.1, and both are hosted in a Windows Server 2003 SE with IIS6.

The application and web service were working fine for years.

For some reason this week we had a ridiculous error appearing in IIS (when trying to start the IIS Admin Service) stating "The IIS Admin Service service terminated with service-specific error 2148073478 (0x80090006)."  After some research on the internet, they suggested to reinstall IIS and re-register .NET.

So I did what was recommended in several web sites: re-installed IIS and re-registered .NET.

Now I can get to the Default.aspx page of the web application just fine, which is a login page.  When I try to login the application replies with  "The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved.".

I have researched this error and basically all of them point to the same cause (mainly to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318140 ), allegedly being a proxy server that needs to be configured at code level or in web.config/machine.config. I really don't believe this to be the cause of the issue because (1) we don't have a proxy server in use here, (2) the application has worked for years and no settings were changed in the machine.config nor web.config during that time, and (3) no other changes were done to the application code (no recompiles, etc). The application is intact. Only thing that was done is re-install IIS and .NET.

Besides the cause already described in the article referenced above (and many other web sites), what other causes this may have? What should I look into? What should I check?

Thanks in advance,

CR

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:11 PM

Answers

• User-899943225 posted

I finally found out what was the problem. For some reason the hosts file was mysteriously deleted and for that reason the aliases were not being resolved. Fortunately I had a copy. Everything is working as expected now.

Thanks everyone for your help and time! Cool

C

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:32 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:37 PM
  • User-899943225 posted

Oned, thanks for the reply. At this point the IIS Admin service is starting, so that is no longer my case. In fact, the article you shared talks about the issue that lead me, by recommendation of another article, to reinstall IIS and re-register .NET. So, the problem now is that I get the above message "The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved." when I try to login to the web application hosted in this server. I suspect it is happening when the web application I am accessing tries to call a web service, which is also on the same web server. So something is going on with the web services. We have not change the code or anything, so I believe is has to be IIS configuration related to the web services.

Any other help is really appreciated!

Friday, January 11, 2013 4:56 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi criveraf

You receive one or more error messages when you try to make an HTTP request in an application that is built on the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1,

I think you could have a try the solutions in the link below, especially resolution F, and check whether it’s helpful to you,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915599

To resolve this problem, increase the time-out value on the server computer and on other network devices. To increase the time-out value in Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0, follow these steps: 1.Click Start, click Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.

2.Click the name of the computer that you want to reconfigure, and then click Web Sites.

3.Right-click the Web site that you want to reconfigure, and then click Properties.

4.Type a new value in the Connection timeout box, and then click OK.

5.On the File menu, click Exit.

hope it helps you,

Kind regaqrds

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:08 PM
  • User-899943225 posted

Thanks Angie for your reply. Unfortunately none of the symptoms enumerated in the article is what I am experiencing. The error I am getting is: "The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved." So based on what the second part of the error says, it has to be a reference to the host machine that for some reason is not being resolved. The odd thing is, like I said before, we have not changed anything; just reinstalled IIS and re-registered .NET.

Any more suggestions are very appreciated. We are really stuck here. FrownUndecidedYell

Thanks!

C

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:23 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi criveraf

Sorry for the issue that you are hitting.

Since I can't reproduce your issue on my side, you can report it in this site(http://connect.microsoft.com/ ),

and Micrrosoft engineers will evaluate this seriously.

Thanks for your understanding.

hope it helps you,

Kind regards

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:27 PM
  • User-899943225 posted

I finally found out what was the problem. For some reason the hosts file was mysteriously deleted and for that reason the aliases were not being resolved. Fortunately I had a copy. Everything is working as expected now.

Thanks everyone for your help and time! Cool

C

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:32 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi criveraf

criveraf

Everything is working as expected now.

Thanks for your kind feedback, very appreciated.

Welcome to post your issues on our ASP.NET Forums in your future programming.

Best regards

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:04 PM