Converting RM/Cobol Version 12.05 for Linux by Micro Focus to SQL 2008 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been tasked with migrating our complete ERP/order entry system (order, wharehouse, customer.. etc) from RM/Cobol V12.05 for Linux by Micro Focus.  As a SQL/.net Developer, i'm already convinced this move should have been done 10yrs ago.  However, being 6months into the company i've been tasked with migrating or obtaining 3rd party add on solutions to replace or move on top of existing cobol.  I have prepared and researched white papers to provide management with the facts to support a migration .net/sql migration and to counter the idea that that Cobol has more "power for data" and "faster" than other RDMS.

I'm looking for feedback and idea's on the best practice for accomplishing a .net/SQL 2008 migration.  The current plan is to have our .Net development work with our cobol developer create normalized sql scripts and execute cobol "programs" into sql while implenting new development within sql/.net and one day cutting the link between the two.

Looking for other best practice solutions/advice that would apply to this scenario.

Thanks,

• Edited by Nick E5Dev Friday, June 17, 2011 9:08 PM clarification
    Friday, June 17, 2011 8:54 PM

All replies

• Bob England @ England Technical Services, Inc. is a genius and an expert on Cobol migration.  He's a busy guy, but always willing to answer questions.  Give him a call -- I think he might have what you're looking for.

Good luck!

210 Main Street
    Elliott, IA 51532 USA
    Phone: 712-767-2270

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:25 AM