none
Outlook 2003 Add-In Does Not Load on Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I've built a VTSO add-in using Visual Studio 2008 targeting Outlook 2003 as the minimum version. Works fine on Outlook 2003, 2007, and 2010. However, it does not load in Outlook 2013. I see the dreaded message in Outlook "Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in."

Should it load?  (Talking 32-bit Outlook here.)

I've turned on the VSTO environment warning flag, but no message. Tried turning on Fusion logging too, no helpful info found there either.

I've confirmed the Outlook 2013 PIA is installed on the machine.  I've discovered that my add-in loads fine when run through the debugger in VS2008.  The installation is via MSI.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe A.

Monday, June 10, 2013 4:59 PM

Answers

• what version of .net framework is used in that plugin? use process monitor to see if your plugin is actually fetched from disk and loaded by vstor engine.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 8:25 PM

All replies

• what version of .net framework is used in that plugin? use process monitor to see if your plugin is actually fetched from disk and loaded by vstor engine.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Hi Joe,

I also have exactly the same issue with our outlook 2007 addins. It works fine with Outlook 2007 and 2010 but do not load up in outlook 2013, but unlike your case I do not get any kind of error message.

Have you resolved your issue? Can you please mention what was the problem and how did you resolved it.

Thanks in advance,

Vikas Baisla

Monday, August 5, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Hi Vikas,

I'm back to trying to solve this problem after many months away from the project.  I still do not have a solution.  Did you find a solution you can share with me?

I did discover something interesting -- I installed Outlook 2013 using the click-to-run version of the installer.  In this case, my add-in loads and works.  However, when I install Outlook 2013 using the MSI provided by Microsoft (on TechNet), then my add-in does not load.  Very strange.  I would have thought it would be just the opposite as I've read about other add-in's that fail to work on the click-to-run version.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try, or how to debug this problem?

I've spent days googling for some clue how to solve this.

Thanks,
    Joe A.

• Edited by Joe.A Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:38 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:37 PM