Unable to open SharePoint site in SharePoint Designer 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently working on a SP 2010 site. Working on this site for last one month. Today when I tried to open this site with SPD 2010, it is showing following message..

Error in Pop-up:

The server could not complete you request.

Not only this site, whole web application is not working. All the other application in this sp server is working fine. Somebody Help me.

Thank you.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:15 PM

Answers

• I've experienced an error with SPD when the web.config file for the site gets "corrupted".

E.g. once I deployed a project that adds a web.config modification for a webservice to the <system.serviceModel> section. I initially implemented it incorrectly, and each time IIS was restarted, it would duplicate the <bindings> and <client> elements in the file, effectively corrupting the web.config file. This would cause SharePoint designer to failed when opening the site (among other things!), so you might want to check you web.config.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:06 PM

All replies

• I've experienced an error with SPD when the web.config file for the site gets "corrupted".

E.g. once I deployed a project that adds a web.config modification for a webservice to the <system.serviceModel> section. I initially implemented it incorrectly, and each time IIS was restarted, it would duplicate the <bindings> and <client> elements in the file, effectively corrupting the web.config file. This would cause SharePoint designer to failed when opening the site (among other things!), so you might want to check you web.config.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Exactly Matthew. I was doing the same. Thanks a lot for your response to my question.

Can you tell what all the changes you have done on web.config?

Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:43 AM
  • I reverted the changes in my web.config. My site is working fine now. I replaced following code in web.config file.

<system.serviceModel>
        <serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true" />
      </system.serviceModel>

Thanks Matthew.
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:26 AM