NOOB Question - Storage Account placement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am at a customer site and find several storage accounts scattered over multiple resource group. Those Storage accounts are mainly used for backup's: VM Backup's; DPM for storing on-premise backup's, Website Backup's etcetera. Naming of the resource groups is not clear.

I would like to know if it is smart(er) to place all those Storage Accounts in one, logically named, resource group. 

Any guidelines or advice on this? 

Regards

Jan

Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Janneman,

You cannot rename a storage account name and resource group name once it is created. At this point our recommendation is to move resources into a new Resource Group with the new name.

Note:- 

The following list provides a general summary of Azure services that can be moved to a new resource group and subscription. For a list of which resource types support move, see Move operation support for resources. I would recommend you to check the following article before moving a resource to another resource group and subscription.

Services that can be moved and Services that cannot be moved

You can rename at the container level in Azure storage account using Azure storage explorer tool. But again, renaming works by copying to a new container, then deleting the source container. This may take a while if there are lots of blobs as shown below.

For this, you may leave your feedback here : https://feedback.azure.com/forums/281804-azure-resource-manager/suggestions/6017710-rename-resource-groups

All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Azure.

Kindly, let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

• Proposed as answer by YASWANTH MADI Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:02 AM
    • Edited by YASWANTH MADI Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:07 AM Added useful information
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Hello Yaswanthm,

Thank you for your quick reply. My question was not related to renaming Storage Accounts rather than to collect all storage accounts in one Resource Group. We have several Resource Groups with only one resource, namely a storage group.. I think it is more clear to Create one Resource Group that contains several Storage Accounts (all containing backup's). I would like to know if there are any disadvantages to do this.

Jan

Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:11 AM
  • @Janneman,

Could you please explain about your environment briefly with more information to help better on this?

When you say, “several Resource Groups with only one resource, namely a storage group and that contains several Storage Accounts (all containing backup's).”

Those storage accounts, Vault and resource groups are all in the same region or in the different regions?

Friday, May 10, 2019 5:14 AM