Is there a way to detect if WCF is activated or not? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Question from installation developer. Is there a way to detect if WCF is activated or not?

Thank you.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:47 PM

Answers

• It does exist on Vista also.
    Manually you can check in the following way

Win2008 server or Vista -
    - ControlPanel\Programs and Features
    - Click on Turn Windows features on or off.  This will open up a Server Manager window
    - Scroll to the Features Summary section in the SM window
    - Click on Add features
    - Expand .Net Framework 3.0 Features (Insalled)
    - If WCF Activation (Installed) is checked then that means it is installed, if not then check and click Next and follow the instructions to activate it

Amit
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• Not sure what you mean by activated. Are you asking whether you can see if a service is running?

Also, from where do you want to see whether WCF is activated.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Sorry for being not clear. I do not know much about WCF, for me (as installator) WCF is a Windows feature. I have to check during the installation (i.e. using some script) if it is activated. It is not activated on Server 2008 by default. I've already found ServiceManagerCmd.exe - install... command and use it now for v6 oss.
    Are you saying it's an NT Service? So checking if service is present/running would be reliable way to detect it is there?

thanks. 
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:47 AM
  • WCF comes installed as part of any .NET framework release starting with v3.0. Are you sure you're not referring to IIS instead?
    Friday, November 14, 2008 1:12 AM
  • Yes, WCF comes with .Net Framework 3.0, but on Server 2008 it is not activated by default. If you open Windows Features, find Framework 3.0 there, you will see WCF checkbox unchecked. I will double check today if such checkbox exists on Vista and others...
    Friday, November 14, 2008 11:18 AM
  • It does exist on Vista also.
    Manually you can check in the following way

Win2008 server or Vista -
    - ControlPanel\Programs and Features
    - Click on Turn Windows features on or off.  This will open up a Server Manager window
    - Scroll to the Features Summary section in the SM window
    - Click on Add features
    - Expand .Net Framework 3.0 Features (Insalled)
    - If WCF Activation (Installed) is checked then that means it is installed, if not then check and click Next and follow the instructions to activate it

Amit
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 4:39 PM