none
move user level security 101 RRS feed

• Question

• am fairly clueless on this topic....

have received 2 files:  TheDatabase.mdb   and   Security.mdw

am using Access 2010 (32 bit) on Win 7 (64bit)

research says to set up a short cut:

"<Full path to Office>\MSAccess.EXE" "<Full path to DB>\TheDatabase.MDB" /wrkgrp "<Full path to secure workgroup>\Security.MDW"

1st point of cluelessness is the path to the MSAccess.exe - - I followed it myself to:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE”

but I'm not sure that is correct

2nd point of cluelessness is creating the short cut.  I did the normal short cut of TheDatabase.mdw which is residing in the same folder....right clicked on Properties.... then copy/pasted in the strings to conform with the research above...first I tried it in the 'Target' field - and received an error message that C:\Program is invalid

then tried copy paste the strings into the 'Start In' field and received another invalid error message

am pretty sure I got the syntax correct in terms of the "" and such....not so sure on the correct path to Access 2010.exe as this PC has had upgrades across time and there may be old stuff here..... and then definitely not sure which field in the shortcut properties is what I should be using...  love database development but really don't get into any other PC system stuff and am as clueless as a newbie....

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:01 PM

Answers

• The path to MSAccess looks OK for 32-bit Access 2010 on 64-bit Windows.

Make sure that you include the quotes around (1) the path to MSAccess.exe, (2) the path to the database, (3) the path to the workgroup file, and that you use straight quotes ", not curly quotes such as .

Enter the complete text in the Target property of the shortcut.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:55 PM

All replies

• The path to MSAccess looks OK for 32-bit Access 2010 on 64-bit Windows.

Make sure that you include the quotes around (1) the path to MSAccess.exe, (2) the path to the database, (3) the path to the workgroup file, and that you use straight quotes ", not curly quotes such as .

Enter the complete text in the Target property of the shortcut.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:55 PM
  • straight and curly quotes ?  .... that's a new one...am looking at my keyboard and only see double quotes over the comma symbol: "

do I have any other choice?

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:12 PM
  • voila as the French say....

I guess it was curly quotes....  I copied the quotation symbol already in the Target field so I knew I was using a valid one...still have no idea how one controls that from the keyboard...

much thanks HV

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:20 PM