none
Memory Leak using Outlook Form Regions RRS feed

• General discussion

• As a company we have just moved from XP 32bit to Win 7 64bit and we have experienced a lot of problems with our Office addins on the new platform. The worst is Outlook 2007 where its really unstable.  It appears to be using and leaking a lot more memory than the same code under XP.

I am going through the system one module at a time to see if I can determine what is happening and the Message viewer form region is the one I started with.  I noticed that viewing large emails (>4M) was leaking a lot of memory that never seems to be recovered, even if the form region display was cancelled.

I uninstalled our addin and performed the same operations and the maximum memory it got up to was about 90Mb, and this returned back to the starting 70mb if I viewed a very small email. With our addin installed viewing the same emails (of which none cause the Form region to be displayed) the memory gets up to over 160Mb and never comes back down again.

I then uninstalled our addin again and used VS2010 to create a brand new Outlook 2007 addin with a blank form region just attaching it to the mail viewer and again setting Cancel = true so nothing was ever displayed.  I again saw the memory peak at 160Mb and stay there.  Is this expected behaviour?

I am using :
    Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
    .Net 4.0 full client
    VSTO 4
    Outlook 2007 12.0.6665.5003 SP3 MSO 12.0.6662.5000

Regards

Brian

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please provide more detailed code to explain your scenario, I noticed you mentioned monitor memory volume in your issue, however I don't think it can explain your issue more helpful for troubleshoting due to we are hard to find the specific entrance to trouble shooting it.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, November 23, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Hi Tom,

That is actually the point.  There is no code!

I am seeing this large increase in memory used by outlook that doesnt appear to be recovered with just a blank project with a blank form region.

Is it the .net assemblies being loaded? Would that account for the extra 90Mb?

Cheers
    Brian

Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:18 PM