Unable to RDP from Windows 7 to Windows 8 DP

Question

• When I try to connect from my primary Windows 7 workstation to the Windows 8 DP with the standard Remote Desktop Connection' it disconnects with error:

"Becasue of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected. Please try connecting to the remote computer again."

Windows 8 RDP Settings:

'My Computer' -> 'System Properties' -> 'Remote' -> 'Remote Desktop' ->

'Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)'

This all just appears to be 'normal' RDP settings carried over from XP/Vista/7/08/08R2 etc 

I should note if I try to connect as 'administrator' with my password authentication fails, when connecting with correct username/password authentications appears to pass thru correctly and then the error is displayed and the RDP window closes.

Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    • Edited by Stephen Edgar Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:27 PM Added authentication info
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:26 PM

Answers

• I've tried that using a normal account (not the build-in 'administrator' one, but the one created during the personalization setup step; not connected to Windows Live account) and the RDP session started normally from Win7 x64 SP1.

However, you might get some guessing in the event logs. I would suggest to check both Win7 and Win8 whether there is some more detailed reason what went wrong.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:38 PM
  • - W8DP & W7Ultimate x64 Event Logs Application, System & Security have nothing of value even after refreshing after trying to connect with a correct user/pass and also by deliberately using an incorrect password.

- I am also running W8DP as a Hyper-V VM under Hyper-V R2 and am RDP'd into my Hyper-V server and using Hyper-V Console to connect to W8DP at the moment as that is how/where I built the VM.

Updated 1: It looks like my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RDP is hosed! I tried what should have been obvious and RDP'ing to it from another machine and I was able to RDP from Hyper-V R2 into W8DP no problem, mind you I am connected to this Hyper-V R2 via RDP from my W7 machine and also another couple of PC's on the network and everything works as expected so time to workout what is going on with my W7 PC

Update 2: I just set a DHCP reservation for this VM in case anything was cached on the W7 PC for the previous IP and now RDP on the W7 machine has populated the 'User name:' field with "WindowsLiveID\stephen@example.com" and when I click 'Connect' W8DP is going to the lock screen appearing as if a successful RDP connection has been made though I still get disconnect due to a 'protocol error' Also of note is when I setup W8DP is during install I assigned the 'Computer Name' as 'WIN8dev' though when attempting to RDP to W8DP I am presented with a warning:

'The remote computer could not be authenticated due to problems with its security certificate. It may be unsafe to proceed.' - 'Certificate Name- WIN-XXXXXXXXXX'

These 'WIN-XXXXXXXXXXX' strings are typically computer names that are auto generated by Windows install when a computer name is not given and/or until you change this so it also appears that the machine certificate has not been generated correctly during the install process. Possible W8 bug? I have now just changed the computer name from 'WIN8dev' to 'WIN8DP' restarted the VM and I am now seeing the correct 'WIN8DP' as the computer name in the RDP certificate dialogue but am still dropping out due to 'protocol error'

I will blow this install away and create a fresh VM and see how that goes in replicating the bug/issue.

Update 3: Have blown away the first VM and created an entire new VM (NOT a reinstall in the same VM) and the same behavior occurs:

"Becasue of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected. Please try connecting to the remote computer again."

Also the computer name certificate is WIN-XXXXXXXXXX and NOT 'WIN8DP' <---- Will file a bug on this

Cheers, Stephen Edgar

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:08 PM

All replies

• I've tried that using a normal account (not the build-in 'administrator' one, but the one created during the personalization setup step; not connected to Windows Live account) and the RDP session started normally from Win7 x64 SP1.

However, you might get some guessing in the event logs. I would suggest to check both Win7 and Win8 whether there is some more detailed reason what went wrong.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:38 PM
  • I'm able to connect my W8DP (running under Hyper-V R2) either from my Win7 Integral desktop machine or from the XP workstation at work (With RDP7 client installed).

I used both type of account: a live ID one and a Local one, both set as Admin.

The error message you have is not common. Maybe do you have connection issue between the device (Wifi? Routeur ?)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:11 PM
  • - W8DP & W7Ultimate x64 Event Logs Application, System & Security have nothing of value even after refreshing after trying to connect with a correct user/pass and also by deliberately using an incorrect password.

- I am also running W8DP as a Hyper-V VM under Hyper-V R2 and am RDP'd into my Hyper-V server and using Hyper-V Console to connect to W8DP at the moment as that is how/where I built the VM.

Updated 1: It looks like my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RDP is hosed! I tried what should have been obvious and RDP'ing to it from another machine and I was able to RDP from Hyper-V R2 into W8DP no problem, mind you I am connected to this Hyper-V R2 via RDP from my W7 machine and also another couple of PC's on the network and everything works as expected so time to workout what is going on with my W7 PC

Update 2: I just set a DHCP reservation for this VM in case anything was cached on the W7 PC for the previous IP and now RDP on the W7 machine has populated the 'User name:' field with "WindowsLiveID\stephen@example.com" and when I click 'Connect' W8DP is going to the lock screen appearing as if a successful RDP connection has been made though I still get disconnect due to a 'protocol error' Also of note is when I setup W8DP is during install I assigned the 'Computer Name' as 'WIN8dev' though when attempting to RDP to W8DP I am presented with a warning:

'The remote computer could not be authenticated due to problems with its security certificate. It may be unsafe to proceed.' - 'Certificate Name- WIN-XXXXXXXXXX'

These 'WIN-XXXXXXXXXXX' strings are typically computer names that are auto generated by Windows install when a computer name is not given and/or until you change this so it also appears that the machine certificate has not been generated correctly during the install process. Possible W8 bug? I have now just changed the computer name from 'WIN8dev' to 'WIN8DP' restarted the VM and I am now seeing the correct 'WIN8DP' as the computer name in the RDP certificate dialogue but am still dropping out due to 'protocol error'

I will blow this install away and create a fresh VM and see how that goes in replicating the bug/issue.

Update 3: Have blown away the first VM and created an entire new VM (NOT a reinstall in the same VM) and the same behavior occurs:

Also the computer name certificate is WIN-XXXXXXXXXX and NOT 'WIN8DP' <---- Will file a bug on this

Cheers, Stephen Edgar

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:08 PM