none
Debugger doesn't find word application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I moved to a new computer and now I can’t debug my Word VSTAO addin project anymore.  The following error message pops up:

Unable to debug Windows Store app ‘#Software\Microsoft\15.0\Word\InstallRoot\Path#Winword.exe’.

The debugger was unable to find the registration for the target application. If the problem persists, try uninstalling and then reinstalling this application.

What I tried so far:

• Uninstalling and reinstalling both Visual Studio and MS Office
    • Running Visual Studio with admin account
    • Turning on developer mode in Windows.

Software versions (64bit)

• Windows 10 v1903
    • Visual Studio 2019 16.1.5
    • Ms Office 365 business v1906

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

• Edited by Michael Jih Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:07 PM
    Saturday, July 13, 2019 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I tried that but that approach didn’t solve the problem. However, I found a different solution: I have added a link to the word.exe unter project properties – debug – start external program.

With best wishes

Michael

• Marked as answer by Michael Jih Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:06 PM
    Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:06 PM

All replies

• What I just figured out is that the registry entry for the installroot isn’t matching.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0 doesn’t exist. But there is a entry in

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\InstallRoot.

What can I do?

Saturday, July 13, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hello Michael,

Unable to debug Windows Store app

Looks like Office was installed from a Windows store. You need to re-install Office downloading the MSI installer from the MS download center instead.

You may find the Office from Microsoft Store: a spreading source of issues article helpful. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Saturday, July 13, 2019 10:53 AM
  • Hi Eugene,

thank for your reply.

Sadly, I haven’t been successful yet. I uninstalled the office package and followed these instructions to use the Office offline installer: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/f0a85fe7-118f-41cb-a791-d59cef96ad1c

However, according to the product information in MS Word I have installed a click-to-run version. That’s again the windows’ store version, right?

Do you have any help for me?

Thanks

Michael

Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

I tried that but that approach didn’t solve the problem. However, I found a different solution: I have added a link to the word.exe unter project properties – debug – start external program.

With best wishes

Michael

• Marked as answer by Michael Jih Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:06 PM
    Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:06 PM
  • LOVE YOU, this got rid of my headache

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:29 PM