Can Azure DB handle a search system. RRS feed

• Question

• User-2097295820 posted

I have just created a search directory for businesses and organisations. But there is a requirement on my application that requires users or customers to search for products or services.

This businesses on my search directories are given an Online Shop to sell product or services and there other packages.

I want to add a function were by a users can come on a search page looking like the google page and simply search for a particular product for example snickers or so and this search would be intelligent enough to find products based on shop location and display this products or services just like a google search.

See my fear. A functionality of this kind would take a large load of traffic. Because every body would want a fast search for products or services. I am using Mssql. so on Azure sql is what I deploy to online.

Here comes my question, to run queries to do this search on azure sql would take lot of joins. At least 8 joins or 10 joins for one users query.

Can azure sql handle this ?.

My second option is to use a Nosql db. Of which I installed mongo db. But to do this I resolved to backing up products and services when the shop admin is storing in sql db.

A backup db api stores in Mongo sql so anyting that has to do with product or service search is done on Mongo db. The downside of this approach is. Difficulty to main both db.

Because if  a shop admin deletes a product I have to delete from Mongo db too. This also applies to an update too.

Please I need advice, Should I do search on Azure sql db. Or do I backup product and services on Nosql db and let users do a Nosql search on Mongo

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:33 PM

Answers

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 11:14 PM
  • User753101303 posted

The idea is to use the simplest solutuion that works. So until you are 100% sure that bringing in another db brings more benefits than constraints, don't.

For now it looks like you want a full text search which should be possible in SQL Azure now. Not sure about your 8/10 joins. What is that? It seems it would be rather a two step process ie retrieving what the user is looking for and then  joining other table to get additional info.

Just do a test but with proper indexes etc... and unless you have a huge database it should be usable. It's hard to go beyond general advices without knowing much about your design (and the need for those joins).

IMO your best bet is to try and see how it behaves (you don"t have to code everything , just do the minimal amount of work to do a full search text query).

Friday, September 16, 2016 4:04 PM

All replies

• User-867830690 posted

For handle a search system on Azure SQL database, I would suggest you move to Azure SQL forum to get a better support: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=ssdsgetstarted

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:10 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 11:14 PM
  • User-2097295820 posted

Ok boss you think I should use full text search in Azure ??, instead of maintaining a mongodb for product duplicate.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 2:54 PM
  • User753101303 posted

The idea is to use the simplest solutuion that works. So until you are 100% sure that bringing in another db brings more benefits than constraints, don't.

For now it looks like you want a full text search which should be possible in SQL Azure now. Not sure about your 8/10 joins. What is that? It seems it would be rather a two step process ie retrieving what the user is looking for and then  joining other table to get additional info.

Just do a test but with proper indexes etc... and unless you have a huge database it should be usable. It's hard to go beyond general advices without knowing much about your design (and the need for those joins).

IMO your best bet is to try and see how it behaves (you don"t have to code everything , just do the minimal amount of work to do a full search text query).

Friday, September 16, 2016 4:04 PM