none
First Impressions | Questions and Improvments RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working now for about 1 week with WES7 / ICE
    I'm pretty comfortable with ICE. But i really missing some WES 2009 flair.

general open question (e.g.):
    I can set multiple times the settings e.g. OEMInformation, RegisteredOwner and so on.

I don't really understand why i can type those things more than once.
    The resulting question is, is it recommended to set those values in the earliest state?
    If those settings are set in e.g. P2/OfflineServicing and the Values in P3/Generalize are empty, are the values in the image or do i have to fill them in every Stage?!
    Some pro and cons would be nice. At least a recommendation.

General improvments
    1. As many people mentioned: We need ability to disable the Welcome and Shutdown Screen/Messages, like in WES2009.
    2. I heard that fffline bulding will come. - Any time schedule? very important for me.
    3. Selectable classes of supported hardware would be a "great" feature. (- We don't want to support any IDE/SATA Disks, only NTFS formated USB Mass Storage Devices are allowed. - Any advices how to realize this in a comfortable way - pre-installation?)

ICE:
    "Create IBW Image from Answer File..." doesn't copy localized bootmanager/bootmgr files.
    --> In setupact.log:  IBSLIB SetNamedSecurityInfo failed! Error Code = 0x2 (Unable to open file)
    Errorhandling is also improveable: Uint32 accepts spaces. E.g. CacheLimit

Small Help Issues:
    EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch have no Help entries. Only the hint: (Uint32).
    Help says ReferralID supports empty elements. It doesn't.

Thanks. ;)

Monday, August 2, 2010 2:45 AM

All replies

• Good comments.  I would add the following to the list of General improvements

4. Need the ability to customize the Windows boot screen.  Either the ability to replace the firefly animation or replace it with a custom image.

Monday, August 2, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Thanks for the comments everyone.

I can respond to a few of them:

On which pass to set settings in - each pass corresponds to a specific phase of setup:

1) Windows PE

This is the phase of setup during which the IBW user interface is run. Typically these settings only apply when running IBW. For example, if you set the screen resolution here, it will only be that resolution during setup, not on your final image. Other examples of settings here include suppressing the IBW UI and configuring which disks to install to.

2) Offline Servicing

This is a phase of setup where most packages are installed. You can configure settings to alter the properties of packages.

3) Generalize

This phase is only run when you execute Sysprep. Settings in this phase are not executed until you run sysprep, and if you don't run sysprep, they will never be executed.

4) Specialize

This phase is after package installation and is where the OS gets tied to a specific hardware device. Every installation will go through specialization, but if you sysprep an image, then redeploy it to another computer, it will be re-specialized, so this phase could be executed multiple times.

5) Audit System

This is an optional phase that is executed if you tell sysprep to go into audit system mode instead of into OOBE. It allows the OEM to perform manual customizations on the image before shipping it to customers.

6) Audit User

This is an optional phase that is executed if you tell sysprep to go into audit user mode instead of into OOBE. It allows the OEM to perform manual customizations on the image before shipping it to customers.

7) OOBE System

This is the "Windows Welcome" phase. Every image goes through this phase even if you suppress the OOBE UI. This is the last phase before you can start using your device, so often times you may put the installation of 3rd party applications in this phase.

We are still considering the offline build feature for future releases, but do not have a time line for when it would ship. In the meantime, you can do this manually by using the steps in Punit's blog article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/embedded/archive/2009/12/10/offline-building-windows-embedded-standard-2011-images.aspx

With ""Create IBW Image from Answer File..." doesn't copy localized bootmanager/bootmgr files.", how are you localizing the bootmanager files? I don't understand how you're producing this error.

We're looking into ways to improve the settings entry methods for future versions of the product.

Thanks again!

Monday, August 2, 2010 4:42 PM
  • With ""Create IBW Image from Answer File..." doesn't copy localized bootmanager/bootmgr files.", how are you localizing the bootmanager files? I don't understand how you're producing this error.

I select "Create IBW Image from Answer File" in ICE. In the answerfile i have typed all language settings for WinPE and normal Windows. Windows is localized. At all WinPE / Setup is not.

The Problem is:

While Setup IBW/Setup searches for localized \Boot\xx-xx\FILE.MUI files. which IBW doesn't find because ice hasn't copied that files while creating the DS with --> "Create IBW Image from Answer File". This means, ICE isn't really creating a DS based on the AnswerFile.

As anyone can see there are two stages of copying files to the Creating IBW. One general (about 400MB?!) and the other copying stage which contains the DS of answerfiles. The Boot folder isn't considered.

Monday, August 2, 2010 8:52 PM
  • What are you trying to accomplish? Is it just getting IBW displayed in a non-English language? IBW is not localized, so no matter what files are copied over to your IBW disk, you'll still get it in English.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Indeed there was a question between the line if the ibw is localized.

I wanted to know why ice doesnt copy the localized boot files for bootmgr if the resources are available. - e.g. bcdboot copys all languages to the boot directory.

At least i wanted to note that missing localized files are noticed in the errologs in panther. Declared as Info (not Error) in setupact.log:  IBSLIB SetNamedSecurityInfo failed! Error Code = 0x2 (Unable to open file)

Monday, August 2, 2010 9:37 PM