Can I get the last Notification when my application starts? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's assume I have a RAW notification sent from a cloud service to the phone periodically... (say every 4 hours).  Most of the time the phone is locked and my application is not running.  But, when the user unlocks the phone and opens my application, can I retrieve the last RAW notification that my service sent?  Is it correct that all the raw notifications are discarded if my application is not running?  Can I use a background agent to listen for the last RAW notification and hang on to it there until my application runs? 

If I have a Live Tile, can I add some additional custom data to the toast message and retrieve that when my application starts? 

Thanks,
    Valkyrie-MT
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:51 AM

Answers

• Is it correct that all the raw notifications are discarded if my application is not running? 

correct.

Can I use a background agent to listen for the last RAW notification and hang on to it there until my application runs?

No.

If I have a Live Tile, can I add some additional custom data to the toast message and retrieve that when my application starts?

You can add information to the "Paramater" property which will be passed to your application if the user taps on the toast to open your application.

see Push Notifications Overview for Windows Phone

The user could also miss push notification messages if they are without data network connection. 
      If you have a web service then it is probably better to poll the service for the latest status when your application is restarted.
      Polling the service would allow you to check for status missed updates.
      Polling the service would also give you a chance to test if an internet connection is available so that you could inform the user that any of your network reliant features are currently unavailable.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:29 PM

All replies

• Is it correct that all the raw notifications are discarded if my application is not running? 

correct.

Can I use a background agent to listen for the last RAW notification and hang on to it there until my application runs?

No.

You can add information to the "Paramater" property which will be passed to your application if the user taps on the toast to open your application.

see Push Notifications Overview for Windows Phone

The user could also miss push notification messages if they are without data network connection. 
      If you have a web service then it is probably better to poll the service for the latest status when your application is restarted.
      Polling the service would allow you to check for status missed updates.
      Polling the service would also give you a chance to test if an internet connection is available so that you could inform the user that any of your network reliant features are currently unavailable.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:29 PM
  • No
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:06 AM