none
Machine.config RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing a VB.Net application for a company with VS2010. I am getting the following error:

Error Parsing
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\V4.0.30319\config\machine.config
    Parser returned error 0x80070005

I have located the file and find that users have no access to it. I suspect that it is the result of a security policy that is in place as this company locks the computers down quite restrictively.

I created an app with just a text box and it also failed with the same error. The app works OK on a computer that does not have the file restricted.

Is it possible to create an app with this restriction in place?
    Can you tell me which policy would have removed user access to the file so I can ask if that restriction can be removed?

Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Syn01,

Thanks for your reply.

From your description, I think that it's impossible to run a .NET application without assessing  to machine.config file.

In fact ,the machine configuration file, Machine.config, contains settings that apply to an entire computer. This file is located in the %runtime install path%\Config directory. Machine.config contains configuration settings for machine-wide assembly binding, built-in remoting channels, and ASP.NET.

The configuration system first looks in the machine configuration file for the appSettings Element (General Settings Schema) and other configuration sections that a developer might define.

For more information, please see  Machine Configuration Files .

Hope these help.

Lilia Gong <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Syn01 Monday, September 9, 2013 12:40 AM
    Friday, September 6, 2013 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your posting.

From your description, I know that you get an Exception:“C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\V4.0.30319\config\machine.config

Parser returned error 0x80070005” .To troubleshoot  this issue ,there are two methods in the following:

1. Please try to check that if you test on other machine  , this issue is still existence.
    2. Please  give  permissions to the Administrator and try again  .

In addition, based on my experience , the error code 0x80070005 means “Access is denied” here  ,Machine.config  contains settings that apply to an entire computer, you need to gives permissions to the Administrator . Another community members got the similar issue as yours, and he/she got the issue resolved. See these cases for the detailed information as follows:

Permissions for machine.config for Standard User:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/007f961c-9913-40ef-91d4-52632cccae3d/permissions-for-machineconfig-for-standard-user

Configuration Parser Error:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/b121a1d2-6c5a-4c1b-b773-cb2bcc5aad64/configuration-parser-error

For more information, please see  Machine Configuration Files .

Hope these help.

Lilia Gong <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 6, 2013 5:02 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you, I have seen the case you mentioned above (Permissions for machine.config for Standard User:) and in my case the user does NOT have any permissions to the machine.config file. When logged in with admin access all is OK. As I said above the company has purposefully removed the machine.config permissions for the user group.

My question is "Is it possible to run a .NET application without access to the machine.config file?"

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Hi Syn01,

Thanks for your reply.

From your description, I think that it's impossible to run a .NET application without assessing  to machine.config file.

In fact ,the machine configuration file, Machine.config, contains settings that apply to an entire computer. This file is located in the %runtime install path%\Config directory. Machine.config contains configuration settings for machine-wide assembly binding, built-in remoting channels, and ASP.NET.

The configuration system first looks in the machine configuration file for the appSettings Element (General Settings Schema) and other configuration sections that a developer might define.

For more information, please see  Machine Configuration Files .

Hope these help.

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Syn01 Monday, September 9, 2013 12:40 AM
    Friday, September 6, 2013 9:16 AM