Sizes of icon and thumbnail image for Game Definition File.

General discussion

• Here is what I add an icon to the Game Definition File Editor, I press the Add Icon button and select a 256x256 icon from my Pictures folder, then press OK button, I have a message prompted:

Warning message

The icon file is missing the following recommended resolution:

16x16 256 color
    16x16 RGB/A
    32x32 256 color
    32x32 RGB/A
    48x48 256 color
    48x48 RGB/A
    256x256 256 color

Can any one give me explanation for this, or should I just ignore it and why? My icon is 256x256 RGB/A due to the warning message in next question below, but I prefer a 48x48 256 color or RGA/A icon, does it matter?

Further, I add a thumbnail image to the Game Definition File Editor, I press the Add Thumbnail button and select a 256x256 PNG image from my Pictures folder, then press OK button, I also have a message prompted:

Warning

Thumbnail image is not recommended, Instead make sure your icon file contains
    Windows Large icon (256x256 256 color and 256x256 RGB/A).

What is that? and why does it ask for and? How do you get both properties in an icon? are icon and thumbnail image related?

What are the recommended dimensions for icon and thumbnail image to add to Game Definition File?

Thanks

--Richard

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'd like to change this thread as discussion.

And for your question, I found something below:

"Integration with Games Explorer requires that you author a game definition file (GDF), which is an XML text file that is embedded within a binary file (an executable file or a DLL) as a resource, along with a Windows icon. The game must then be registered with Games Explorer. The GDF also enables the exposure of supplied information such as the game title, publisher, developer, links to websites and optional tasks. Note that support tasks can be only links to Web sites, but play tasks can be used for optional support tasks as well.
    Games Explorer can make use of a thumbnail bitmap image, but it is recommended that, instead, you provide a Windows icon resource with large icons (256×256). The icon resource should include image sizes of 256×256 48×48, 32×32, and 16×16 in both 24-bit (True Color) and 8-bit (256) color depths. The icon editor provided in Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 supports these large icon formats, as does IconWorkshop Lite."

If you dont want to set any small icons you can just use a 256*256 instead, and they are just recommended.

Hope this can help you

James He
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:31 AM