On line exam project in ASP.Net and c#

Question

• I have to make a project that will conduct an on line exam for more than 1 Lack student at a time .

Any body would like to suggest  me , How can i reduce the number of hits to the server (SQL 2005).

Question paper set will be user specific that will be on the server (SQL 2005), I want to fetch the set on the client machine  and tell me where should  i keep this set on client machine so that no one can hack it .

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:25 PM

Answers

• not only that, you should CACHE it either using file or appsetting or roaming.

Then you should check whether it exist BEFORE you asked the data again.

And also, use compression to make it fast (from the web server to your app), and also, checks the data have been tampered or not (whether on the transfer or on the localsettings).

All of that can be done with javascript + web technology you used.

And for holy bookmark sake, use a newer version of SQL server <--- not mandatory though, and you mention you must do it on 2005 SQLS.
    • Edited by Raymond Goldman Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Raymond Goldman Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dino He Monday, June 25, 2012 8:44 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:48 PM

All replies

• -_- 

basically a "please do my homework" kind of question. Look ! up in the sky ! it's...... jpsanders to the rescue.

hahaha :D

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Hi Sanjay,

You should download the data all in one call rather than question by question.  Anything you download is hackable.  You could use some of the encryption APIs to encrypt the data and store it in your local folder.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/site/search?query=encryption&f%5B0%5D.Value=encryption&f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&ac=8

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Be nice Raymond :-).  You have asked a few of these too! 

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:44 PM
  • lol, yes. I did. Thanks for answering.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:45 PM
  • not only that, you should CACHE it either using file or appsetting or roaming.

Then you should check whether it exist BEFORE you asked the data again.

And also, use compression to make it fast (from the web server to your app), and also, checks the data have been tampered or not (whether on the transfer or on the localsettings).

All of that can be done with javascript + web technology you used.

And for holy bookmark sake, use a newer version of SQL server <--- not mandatory though, and you mention you must do it on 2005 SQLS.
    • Edited by Raymond Goldman Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Raymond Goldman Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dino He Monday, June 25, 2012 8:44 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Thanks

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:36 PM