none
Will I be able to use the kinect for windows with kinect sdk commercially starting 1st of February 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

I have a simple question that I need to clarify.

Will I be able to publicly display an advertising solution that uses the new kinect for windows starting 1st of February 2012?

It's not clear to me if the device and sdk that will be released next month are still restricted to personal use only.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Razvan

• Edited by razvane Monday, January 16, 2012 10:56 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello 

I have a simple question that I need to clarify.

Will I be able to publicly display an advertising solution that uses the new kinect for windows starting 1st of February 2012?

It's not clear to me if the device and sdk that will be released next month are still restricted to personal use only.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Razvan

Honestly, I would ask here; http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/fe8e2be9-3473-48b9-878a-6b8b284a4a7e

You will probably get a faster answer there. But the release of the SDK on February 1st is the release of the Commercial SDK, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. But you'd have to read what sort of policies they have about the use of it. I don't think all the details have been revealed as of yet but you'd probably be able to get some sort of information from that thread.

• Proposed as answer by ni28 Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:44 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Thank you.

I thought the sdk that will be released in February was for personal use only and the commercial sdk will be released later this year.

It seems I got it wrong.

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Thank you.

I thought the sdk that will be released in February was for personal use only and the commercial sdk will be released later this year.

It seems I got it wrong.

It's actually the academic/research version that is released later this year :)
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:45 AM
  • V1.0 is now available. Please refer to the following link for commercial information:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/new.aspx

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:22 PM