Are Windows Phone 7 apps still supported on Windows 10 mobile? RRS feed

• Question

• I wrote a couple WP7 apps recently and they were successfully uploaded to the app store. However, I'm unable to find them on my phone running the latest technical preview build. The apps won't show up in the app store and the xap's refuse install. I can still download some old XNA games I made for windows phone 7 awhile ago and they still work fine on the technical preview. But for some reason, I can't get these pure windows phone 7 (Silverlight) apps onto my windows 10 phone (Nokia Lumia 928). The apps I created were targeted towards the Windows Phone 7.1 sdk (mango). Does anybody know if windows phone 7 apps in general are still supported on Windows 10?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:26 AM

Answers

• Alright, so I recompiled my WP7 XNA app that wasn't working on Windows 10. I used the Windows Phone 8 SDK to recompile and while the app is still compatible with Windows Phone 7.1, it is now compatible with Windows 10 Mobile. I have tested this with the pure Silverlight apps, but I can pretty much confirm that native WP7 apps that were compiled with the Windows Phone 7 SDK are no longer compatible with Windows 10. The only way to run WP7 apps on Windows 10 is to make sure they were compiled with the Windows Phone 8 SDK. That way they run on both WP7 and Windows 10.

As I posted earlier too, while not really an official statement from Microsoft, a MS Support Engineer confirmed that Windows Phone 7 apps support has been discontinued (see link below). For the most part, this is the end of Windows Phone 7. The Windows Phone 8 SDK is the only bridge now between WP7 and W10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_store/are-windows-phone-7-apps-supported-on-windows-10/75a66ea0-f386-4819-abbd-767313fd079c

• Marked as answer by General Heed Friday, April 17, 2015 12:43 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 12:43 PM

All replies

• AFAIK Windows 10 will only support Universal Apps for WP development. It's not official but Microsoft kills Silverlight some time ago.

Regards.

Christian Amado
    Software Engineer | MCPD: Windows Phone Developer | MCTS: Silverlight Developer
    Don't forget to mark the right answer and vote up if helps you.
    MCP Profile

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:10 PM
  • AFAIK Windows 10 will only support Universal Apps for WP development. It's not official but Microsoft kills Silverlight some time ago.

Regards.

Christian Amado
    MCP Profile

How exactly did Microsoft kill Silverlight (on phone, not on web), considering that the latest WP8.1 SDK has no stuff for silverlight and silverlight in itself supports APIs which have no equivalent in winRT (like the lockscreen API)?>

@OP: technically they should be supported. It might be a bug in the preview build.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:14 PM

Regards.

Christian Amado
    MCP Profile

I can still run WP7 XNA Games on Windows 10 though and they still show up in the app store. The original Windows Phone 8.0 apps (pre-Universal) still run on Windows 10 as well. It appears to just be Silverlight apps that don't run or show up on the app store. I'm not sure if this applies to all WP7 apps though as I can't tell if an app was built for WP7 or WP8 originally. All I know is that new WP7 apps won't show up in the app store.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:24 PM

Regards.

Christian Amado
    MCP Profile

How exactly did Microsoft kill Silverlight (on phone, not on web), considering that the latest WP8.1 SDK has no stuff for silverlight and silverlight in itself supports APIs which have no equivalent in winRT (like the lockscreen API)?>

@OP: technically they should be supported. It might be a bug in the preview build.

The Windows Phone 7.8 SDK was the last one to support Silverlight as far as I know. But since Windows Phone 8, WP7 apps were still supported and WP8.1 still remained backwards compatible as well. I'm not sure if how XNA works compared to Silverlight. Both were supported on WP7 but from what I've observed, only XNA is still compatible. It might be possible it's a bug because of that or perhaps XNA natively supported WP8 which is why it's still compatible with Windows 10. Since Microsoft hasn't made any official announcement that they're discontinuing support for Windows Phone 7 apps either.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:29 PM
  • The Windows Phone 7.8 SDK was the last one to support Silverlight as far as I know.

What are you talking about? There are 8.0 and 8.1 versions of Windows Phone Silverlight and Microsoft added new API both times. There is no longer a separately installed "Windows Phone SDK". Windows Phone development is integrated into Visual Studio since 2013.

That said, Silverlight has been on the way out at Microsoft for many years. Windows Phone actually extended its life. Microsoft is now clearly focused on the Runtime environment for its future and Silverlight is now effectively a legacy framework.

• Edited by mSpot Inc Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:45 PM
  • The Windows Phone 7.8 SDK was the last one to support Silverlight as far as I know.

What are you talking about? There are 8.0 and 8.1 versions of Windows Phone Silverlight and Microsoft added new API both times. There is no longer a separately installed "Windows Phone SDK". Windows Phone development is integrated into Visual Studio.

No, you just simply didn't uncheck the Windows Phone 8/8.1 SDK option when you installed Visual Studio. It's included in the installation by default, but is still totally optional and can be downloaded and installed separately. From what I understand, WP8 and 8.1 apps don't use Silverlight. They use something new and different to the point where it isn't just simply Silverlight with more API's. They're just simply backwards compatible with WP7 apps. But if you go create a new WP7 app in VS, it's literally called "Silverlight App" while with the WP8 SDK, it isn't called Silverlight anymore.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:56 PM
  • From what I understand, WP8 and 8.1 apps don't use Silverlight.
    WP7 and WP8 apps use Silverlight. WP8.1 apps can be either Silverlight or Runtime. Please open a new project in Visual Studio 2013 and look at all the template options.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:11 PM
  • From what I understand, WP8 and 8.1 apps don't use Silverlight.

WP7 and WP8 apps use Silverlight. WP8.1 apps can be either Silverlight or Runtime. Please open a new project in Visual Studio 2013 and look at all the template options.

Without having the WP7 SDK installed, there is no option for "Silverlight" apps. The only Windows Phone apps I'm able to develop are RT apps, either exclusive or universal. But no option for Silverlight or XNA apps. To develop those, I need to have the WP7 SDK installed and use Visual Studio 2010. The only Silverlight option that exists in VS 2013 is a Silverlight Desktop/Browser app. It is not the same as a Silverlight WP7 app though. Anyways, that's not the point of this discussion. I just want to know if Windows 10 officially dropped support for WP7 apps or if this is just a bug that prevents WP7 Silverlight apps from being installed.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:20 PM
  • Without having the WP7 SDK installed, there is no option for "Silverlight" apps.

Doesn't your VS2013 have "Windows Phone Silverlight" templates? Do you have the latest VS2013 updates applied? Current is Update 4 (Update 5 is in preview).

I don't know whether WP7 apps will be supported on W10 (should be more information from the Build conference in a couple of weeks). If not supported, you can upgrade your WP7 project to WP8 or WP8.1 Silverlight with one click in Visual Studio. In fact, if you had previously created a WP7 project and tried to open it in VS2013, it will force an upgrade to WP8.

• Edited by mSpot Inc Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:15 PM
  • I have installed at least one of my own WP7 (Silverlight) apps on Windows 10 mobile, however I no longer have Windows 10 on any phones since the build is currently terrible.

There is no reason I can imagine that Microsoft would cease backwards compatibility for WP7 apps. I would expect that a large portion of apps in the store are WP7 targeted, and Microsoft can't afford to remove apps from the store (or hide them from Win10 users).

There will be no way of knowing for sure until Microsoft announce something officially (maybe at Build in 2 weeks time).

I would be shocked if they pulled backwards compatibility for WP7. It would make no sense, and the tech 'media' would slaughter them mercilessly.

The current store is nowhere near finished. They might be doing things behind the scenes that prevent some apps from showing.

It is likely that Microsoft will stop accepting WP7.1 apps for the store. WP7.1 marketshare is so tiny there is no point restricting an app to its weaker set of APIs (and most likely worse performance). They want all future development to be Windows 10 UAP.

Visit http://blog.grogansoft.com/ for Windows development fun.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:57 AM
  • I have installed at least one of my own WP7 (Silverlight) apps on Windows 10 mobile, however I no longer have Windows 10 on any phones since the build is currently terrible.

There is no reason I can imagine that Microsoft would cease backwards compatibility for WP7 apps. I would expect that a large portion of apps in the store are WP7 targeted, and Microsoft can't afford to remove apps from the store (or hide them from Win10 users).

There will be no way of knowing for sure until Microsoft announce something officially (maybe at Build in 2 weeks time).

I would be shocked if they pulled backwards compatibility for WP7. It would make no sense, and the tech 'media' would slaughter them mercilessly.

The current store is nowhere near finished. They might be doing things behind the scenes that prevent some apps from showing.

It is likely that Microsoft will stop accepting WP7.1 apps for the store. WP7.1 marketshare is so tiny there is no point restricting an app to its weaker set of APIs (and most likely worse performance). They want all future development to be Windows 10 UAP.

Visit http://blog.grogansoft.com/ for Windows development fun.

The apps I wrote recently were done in VS2010 with the WP7.5 SDK. Maybe they have to be compiled in VS2012 with the WP8 SDK. I'll try recompiling them later when I get the chance and submitting them to the app store again and see if that solves the issue. If it does, then it potentially means that Windows 10 only supports the WP8 SDK for backwards compatibility and the WP8 SDK itself includes its own backwards compatibility with WP7 apps but pure WP7 SDK apps are not supported anymore. I don't know if that makes any sense, but we'll see what happens later when I give it a try.

I don't see any reason to discontinue support for WP7 apps on Windows 10 though. I doubt WP7 compatibility is such a huge performance hit on the phone nor is it difficult to achieve.

EDIT:
    I posted this question in the Windows Insider forum and a Microsoft Support Engineer responded with this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_store/are-windows-phone-7-apps-supported-on-windows-10/75a66ea0-f386-4819-abbd-767313fd079c

I'm not sure if that qualifies as an official statement from Microsoft though, but it seems like this is the end of the line for Windows Phone 7.

• Edited by General Heed Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:43 PM new info
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:26 PM
  • Alright, so I recompiled my WP7 XNA app that wasn't working on Windows 10. I used the Windows Phone 8 SDK to recompile and while the app is still compatible with Windows Phone 7.1, it is now compatible with Windows 10 Mobile. I have tested this with the pure Silverlight apps, but I can pretty much confirm that native WP7 apps that were compiled with the Windows Phone 7 SDK are no longer compatible with Windows 10. The only way to run WP7 apps on Windows 10 is to make sure they were compiled with the Windows Phone 8 SDK. That way they run on both WP7 and Windows 10.

As I posted earlier too, while not really an official statement from Microsoft, a MS Support Engineer confirmed that Windows Phone 7 apps support has been discontinued (see link below). For the most part, this is the end of Windows Phone 7. The Windows Phone 8 SDK is the only bridge now between WP7 and W10.

• Marked as answer by General Heed Friday, April 17, 2015 12:43 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 12:43 PM