Cluster Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Presently in our organization we have two node cluster with sql server 2000 on windows server 2003.

we need to upgrade the windows server to 2008 and sql server 2008r2.

could please help  me the steps needed to upgrade the cluster environment without down time.

Thanks

Rajesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:23 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I would like you to do side by side migration if possible.You can also look at upgrade paths supported from 2000 to 2008 r2

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393(v=sql.105).aspx

1. Create windows cluster using windows server 2008 ( obtain a new windows box)

2. Install SQL Server 2008 R2 in Cluster mode.Add node to the cluster using add node option .

3 Migrate databas eusing backup and restore method.

4. Migarte logins and jobs by using  script methods.RK the login and job and select script .

Do you need any further information ?

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Marked as answer by Madhudba Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:11 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I would like you to do side by side migration if possible.You can also look at upgrade paths supported from 2000 to 2008 r2

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393(v=sql.105).aspx

1. Create windows cluster using windows server 2008 ( obtain a new windows box)

2. Install SQL Server 2008 R2 in Cluster mode.Add node to the cluster using add node option .

3 Migrate databas eusing backup and restore method.

4. Migarte logins and jobs by using  script methods.RK the login and job and select script .

Do you need any further information ?

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Marked as answer by Madhudba Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:11 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:15 AM
  • Hello Shanky thanks for your reply , could you please review my steps

we have two nodes

Application connected to the cluster (node1 active and node2 passive)

1) scratch the passive node, rebuild the server with windows server 2008 create new cluster 

2) install sql server 2008r2 , restore the database and logins ,put back the application to the present cluster.

3) scratch the node 1 , rebuild the server with windows server 2008

4) install sql sever 2008r2 add the node to the cluster.

Thanks

Rajesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

I am sorry to say but what you are trying to achieve is not possible.I still recommend you the way I pointed in my first post.Also you can confirm what I said using below link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935197/en-gb

Read it completely it would be helpful

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Hello Shanky, just a last question

Is that possible in my steps if we remove the node from the cluster rebuild it

Application connected to the cluster (node1 active and node2 active)

1) disconnect the node 2 from the cluster, scratch the node 2, rebuild the server with windows server 2008 create new cluster 

2) install sql server 2008r2 , restore the database and logins ,put back the application to the present cluster.

Thanks

Rajesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:58 AM
  • Hello Shanky, just a last question

Is that possible in my steps if we remove the node from the cluster rebuild it

Application connected to the cluster (node1 active and node2 active)

1) disconnect the node 2 from the cluster, scratch the node 2, rebuild the server with windows server 2008 create new cluster 

Thanks

Rajesh

I always follow what |Microsoft suports and recommends to avoid any issues.I am not sure what you are saying is possible.You will end up messing things.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:10 AM