Mobile Broadband Metro Apps and installed on Windows 8 Release Preview, want to Launch from web browser

Question

• Hi 

I have a Mobile Broadband Metro Apps and installed on Windows 8 Release Preview, Now i want to launch Mobile Broadband Metro Apps from web browser.

while my Mobile Broadband Metro Apps is not in running state.

Is there any way to implement this without using Protocol Activation Extension.

Regards

Ravi Shankar

Ravi Shankar

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• Do you mean you want to launch an installed Metro application from a web site without protocol activation? This is not supported unless you create some browser plug-ins (which are only supported in desktop browsers). Similarly, you can’t open a local desktop application from a web site, unless you let user download a file that can be opened by a particular local app, or create a browser plug-in.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Hi

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/hh770511

Refer to Page 29 of attached designing-user-experience-mobile-operator-apps doc:<o:p></o:p>

"Automatic launch from connection manager during a captive portal purchase flow"

<o:p>Under this: When connected to a captive portal network where web traffic is redirected, Windows provides mobile network operators the option to automatically launch their app if it’s installed.</o:p>

Then, how the operator can exactly do this? 

That means Operator can launch their application by clicking on "View My Account" in the network pane, so can we apply same process to open the Metro apps from browser?

If YES please tell me what is the process behind this.

Regards

Ravi Shankar

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Ravi,

Here is the paper that describes this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh833783.aspx

Best Wishes - Eric

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:26 AM