none
"Free coupons" for paid apps RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a paid app, but i want to give it for free once it's done to beta testers and other people who helped during the development.

Is there any way for developer to generate some free coupons for this purpose? Or you would just have to send it manually if this is even allowed?

(Example: games on steam can be gifted like this)

Thanks!

Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• No standard mechanism for this.
    • Marked as answer by Dejan77 Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:18 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:20 PM
  • I solved similar problem by releasing free app version with ads and a function to enter "promo code", that removes advertising and enables extended functionality. It uses my server and simple encryption scheme for promo-code validation.

For the first try it failed to pass the certification and I was asked for a promo-code for testing team to validate this functionality. I added the code to "Notes for testers" form and that time it passes without any issues.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Ukraine

Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hmm that is an interesting solution, thanks
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:21 PM
  • The problem with this approach, of course, is that fact that you have to use your own server to validate promo keys.  it'd be better to have this built into the windows store publishing mechanism.  Thanks for the workaround until we get that, though!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 5:17 PM