What happened to the boom of RIA Services? RRS feed

• Question

• User1043796333 posted

Was RIA Services (it lookesd as the alternative to following past 2.0 DALs and BLLs methodology) just another fictional product to be?

WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS: they showed you the basics of it but what about real life customization beyond the basics? Remember that we programers need to learn stuff beyond a five minute video,m we need to lean really exceptional stuff (ADVANCED STUFF, PRETTY ADVANCED)

So, what's going on with it?

Not even ASP.Net web site talks about it but some stuff in Codeplex (uuuggh!!) and CodeProject

P.S.:

I'm just goint to say to N_EvilScott that there were an approach of using this tool (RIA) into a Dynamic Data web site

Problem is that it was just the basics and not about how to get it customized in a Dynamic Data project

Maybe you know that talking about Dynamic Data is not talking about anything else and that samples must come into its own architechture (call it its own pseudo-framework)

ABOUT YOUR ANSER: I'M STILL IN AWE!

I didn't almost understood anything of what you just said .... odf course THAT'S MY FAULT only

But for sure I can say that you know about the things you're answering (congratualtions)

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:20 PM

Answers

• User-1528094326 posted

As far as I know, its really primarily targetted toward the Silverlight and WPF platforms. If you go to Silverlight.net you will see lots of hands on labs and videos where they use the Entity Framework combined with RIA Services to generate complete business line applications.

I know a lot of developers in my town who are making lots of Silverlight 4.0 applications targetting RIA services as well. Ultimately though RIA belongs to WCF, as it just generates a dynamic WCF service. It's just a preference in my opinion, but it does a great job at exposing data to client side applications like silverlight using its domain contexts. I think using it for something like asp.net except for AJAX is kind of unnecessary in the majority of situations.

There isn't a lot of hype around it because it's considered to be "main stream" at this point from what I can tell. MEF (Managed Extensibility Framework) is the same way, I use MEF in all my WPF applications but you don't really hear it talked about much anymore either. By and large, Microsoft will release great tools, and thats all it is really just some tools.

Right now Microsoft is concentrating A LOT of its resources on Windows 8, the last figures I saw was that Microsoft still makes between 50-65% of its profits from Windows and Office sales, and last I heard the Windows team at Microsoft was kind of taking over dominate control. Scott Guthrie also has a lot more on his plate since they shoved Windows Azure at him and asked him to make it profitable as well. I would say its just a transition period.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a book on WCF that did NOT include RIA though.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:59 PM

All replies

• User-1528094326 posted

As far as I know, its really primarily targetted toward the Silverlight and WPF platforms. If you go to Silverlight.net you will see lots of hands on labs and videos where they use the Entity Framework combined with RIA Services to generate complete business line applications.

I know a lot of developers in my town who are making lots of Silverlight 4.0 applications targetting RIA services as well. Ultimately though RIA belongs to WCF, as it just generates a dynamic WCF service. It's just a preference in my opinion, but it does a great job at exposing data to client side applications like silverlight using its domain contexts. I think using it for something like asp.net except for AJAX is kind of unnecessary in the majority of situations.

There isn't a lot of hype around it because it's considered to be "main stream" at this point from what I can tell. MEF (Managed Extensibility Framework) is the same way, I use MEF in all my WPF applications but you don't really hear it talked about much anymore either. By and large, Microsoft will release great tools, and thats all it is really just some tools.

Right now Microsoft is concentrating A LOT of its resources on Windows 8, the last figures I saw was that Microsoft still makes between 50-65% of its profits from Windows and Office sales, and last I heard the Windows team at Microsoft was kind of taking over dominate control. Scott Guthrie also has a lot more on his plate since they shoved Windows Azure at him and asked him to make it profitable as well. I would say its just a transition period.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a book on WCF that did NOT include RIA though.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:59 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Topolov, it did'nt take off, it's still there but not much has been done with it I think the next big thing is OData and Web API

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:59 AM
  • User1799985857 posted

You see, this is one of the many kinds found here? Why do I need too many connectors?

Friday, March 2, 2012 12:52 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi there, for OData LightSwitch vNext will expose its data as an OData service this will allow filtering data by user in LightSwitchs Business Logic on the Server and do what WCF RIA never really achived :)

Friday, March 2, 2012 7:13 AM