WinQual bucket ID meaning RRS feed

• Question

• How does the WinQual generate the bucket ID? What's the meaning of the bucket ID? Does it represent the stack info? Could someone give me an example about this? When there is a crash, what files (info) get send to WinQual? I am new to the WER and WinQual.Thanks.
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:19 PM forum consolidation (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 11:53 PM

Answers

• YCY,

BucketID is an internal term.  On the WinQual portal, you'll see it as "EventID."  It's generated by WATSON when a new report comes in.  Identity-seeded Primary Key on each of the tables (Crash32, Crash64, Generic)

The Bucket itself is based on the following:

1) Application Name

2) Application Version

3) Module Name

4) Module Version

5) Offset

6) Exception Code

If the user has opted in, then initially, that's all that gets transmitted to us.  Watson might then ask for cab files, if the ISV has put the Event into capture mode.  Stack information (such as it is) will be contained in any cabs collected.  Once you've mapped, you can pull the cabs down and run Windows Debugger on them for stack data.

Feel free to reply to this board, or contact me directly.  I'm Partner Outreach for ISVs on the WER Portal, so I'm your best starting point.

b

Friday, November 9, 2007 8:37 PM

All replies

• YCY,

BucketID is an internal term.  On the WinQual portal, you'll see it as "EventID."  It's generated by WATSON when a new report comes in.  Identity-seeded Primary Key on each of the tables (Crash32, Crash64, Generic)

The Bucket itself is based on the following:

1) Application Name

2) Application Version

3) Module Name

4) Module Version

5) Offset

6) Exception Code

If the user has opted in, then initially, that's all that gets transmitted to us.  Watson might then ask for cab files, if the ISV has put the Event into capture mode.  Stack information (such as it is) will be contained in any cabs collected.  Once you've mapped, you can pull the cabs down and run Windows Debugger on them for stack data.

Feel free to reply to this board, or contact me directly.  I'm Partner Outreach for ISVs on the WER Portal, so I'm your best starting point.

b

Friday, November 9, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. Basically I want to find out if I can get enough info from the bucket ID alone then redirect our customers to our company KB website to find out more info about this crash. According to your reply, it looks to me the bucket ID is generated by using the (Crash32, Crash64, Generic) as a Primary Key? What other info can I retrieve from it? Where can I find more info about those 3 tables? They are not available on MSDN.
    Friday, November 9, 2007 9:09 PM
  • Do you have an account on WinQual yet?  (winqual.microsoft.com for more information.)  It sounds like you are a software company, so you could get an amazing amount of information from us once you sign up.  Crash information, cabs, rates of crash/hang/etc, and responses that redirect users to your website to download the latest version of the software.

Please contact me or let us know at [wer at microsoft dot com] and we can fill you in.

b

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Yes, I do have a winqual account.
    Monday, November 12, 2007 5:46 PM
  • Please contact us.  I can see YCY, but not any useful information that would let me get you to the right place.

a-brward at microsoft dot com.

b

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:04 PM