none
IncludeRecurrences in 2013 - Documentation says do not use? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The MSDN Documentation for IncludeRecurrences (2013) states: "Getting or setting this property has no effect.  Do not use it.", followed by information on how/when to use it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff866969(v=office.15).aspx

The same property under 2010 documentation is missing the "do not use" note.

Can someone please clarify, and possibly advise how I'm supposed to get recurring appointments within a time range without the property, unless I'm going to calculate them all on my own?

Thanks

Jack D. Leach (Access MVP)
    Dymeng Services (home | blog)
    UtterAccess Wiki (hundreds of articles and functions)

Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Jack,

The What's new for Outlook 2013 developers page doesn't contain any info related to the IncludeRecurrences property. It looks like there were internal changes, unknown to others.

There are three possible ways for searching Outlook items:

1. The Find/FindNext methods - How To: Retrieve Outlook calendar items using Find and FindNext methods

2. The Restrict method - How To: Use Restrict method in Outlook to get calendar items

3. Advanced search in Outlook programmatically: C#, VB.NET

Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:02 AM
  • Thanks, but the first two articles include the IncludeRecurrences property, so I'm hesitant to use them for a critical application with documentation that clearly says not to for 2013 (this application will automate Outlook 2013).

While I was aware of the first two methods, I hadn't been aware of using Advanced search programmatically.  I'll look into this, but would still like to know what's actually going on with the documentation on IncludeRecurrences.

Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:12 AM
  • I don't thing anything changed regarding the IncludeRecurrences property. This is the only way to expand recurrences for a given time interval.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Sounds good... I just tested in 2013 and it indeed seems to work fine, despite the documentation note that it doesn't do anything.

I'll leave the question open for a bit as I'm hoping to get some formal explanation as to why that note is in there (do they expect to deprecate it, does it not work for certain installations (O365 vs traditional desktop installs, or just a plain oversight on part of the documenter, etc).  I'd hate to dump time into this to find out I need to take a different approach too soon down the road.

Thanks,

Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:02 PM
  • I am sure they meant to say that it does not work unless you call Items.Sort and sort only on the start time.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:11 PM
  • I can't help but think they could have worded it a bit differently, if that were the case.  Perhaps not in a highlighted note at the top of the documentation with no other context except to say "don't use it, it does nothing." :)

In any case, I expect you're right - nevertheless I've just submitted a request that I hope makes it to the documentation team asking them to clear it up for the future reference of others who may come across it the way I did.

Cheers,

Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:14 PM