none
Impact : Disable Tracking on Orchestrations and Pipeleins RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using BizTalk 2013 R2 for the low latency request-response scenario and Just to reduce the latency and load on the BizTalk work flows I want to disable complete tracking on all orchestrations and pipelines. So want to know the impacts of tracking disabled in the below scenarios. To mention I created a dedicated host for “Tracking Only” and is enabled.

1.        Can we use BAM and get the reports even if we disable the tracking?
    2.        Will the instances tracked in the BizTalk (only the instance names that are completed)?
    3.        I followed all the best practices mentioned on MSDN to reduce the latency and still want to know if I can do anything in this space. I Cannot avoid orchestration as I need to call multiple systems and set many values after mapping in the orchestration.
    4.        Any other potential impacts?

Thanks

JB

Sunday, April 12, 2015 1:52 AM

Answers

• Prashant:  I understand from your reply that still we can get no of messages processed, received time, send time etc. Details using BAM even though the complete tracking is disabled. Can you please confirm again.

In Production, I want to use BAM but the entire tracking is disabled to reduce the load and latency. Is it the correct option to choose?

Thanks

JB

Hi Janardan,

Yes I reconfirm you that BAM data will still get tracked even if Global Tracking is disabled.

As said earlier this is a very general practice followed across the industry to keep global tracking disabled for attaining better performance in production environments and as BAM is a totally different entity it works perfectly fine. The only requirement will be to keep dedicated host to move BAM data from tracking tables within MessageBoxDb to BAMArchiveDb.

Let us know if you still have any doubts.

Thanks.

Thanks,
    Prashant
    ----------------------------------------
    Please mark this post accordingly if it answers your query or is helpful.

Monday, April 13, 2015 4:01 AM
  • Yes, unchecking Start/End on each service (Orchestration or Pipeline) or disabling Global Tracking have the same effect, except that Global Tracking applies everywhere. What you're seeing is the expected behavior.

Reminder, while they share some internals, Tracking and BAM are separate features so the state of Global Tracking has no effect on BAM.

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:40 PM

All replies

1. Yes.  While there is some overlap, the Tracking options in BizTalk Administrator would not affect custom BAM tracking.
    2. Yes.  Unless you disable Global Tracking (in Group Settings), then no history is kept.
    3. Test.  I will tell you beyond any doubt, "call multiple systems" will take far, far more time then any optimization you can do in BizTalk.
    4. Beyond what's documented, no.
    Sunday, April 12, 2015 12:04 PM
  • Well if you disable tracking for ports and orchestration even with custom BAM you might not get things like message receipt time, etc. When you talk out low latency what is the number of milliseconds we are talking about and what volumes ? Also some of the latency would be because of your choice of adapters and the H/W behind it.

Regards.

Sunday, April 12, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Hi Janardhan,

Please find my comments inline:-

1.        Can we use BAM and get the reports even if we disable the tracking?

<Prashant> Yes you will get BAM Tracking data, as BAM Tracking is totally different from the normal BizTalk Tracking. BAM Tracking was made to perform some business related tracking, however BizTalk tracking is related to message related information(technical information)

Also, BAM tracking data is stored in different databases and tables, for example- 

In MessageBox BAM Data is stored in TrackingData_0_x tables while Tracking data is stored in TrackingData_1_x tables. Also BAM data is present in BAMArchive while tracking data will be present in BizTalkDTADb.

TrackingData_0_x These four tables store the Business Activity Monitoring (BAM) tracked events in the BizTalkMsgBoxDb database for TDDS to move the events to the BAMPrimaryImport database.
    TrackingData_1_x These four tables store the tracked events in the BizTalkMsgBoxDb database for TDDS to move the events to the BizTalkDTADB database.

So, both the things are totally un-related. 

Note:- You will have to create a dedicated Tracking Host to move BAM Data from TrackingData0_X tables in BizTalkMsgBox to BAMArchiveDb.

How to maintain and troubleshoot BizTalk Server databases

•        Will the instances tracked in the BizTalk (only the instance names that are completed)?

<Prashant> If you want to turn off all the tracking, you can do that by turning off Global Tracking. If global tracking is turned off only Terminated instances history will be maintained.

How to Turn Off Global Tracking

Optimizing BizTalk Server Performance

1.        I followed all the best practices mentioned on MSDN to reduce the latency and still want to know if I can do anything in this space. I Cannot avoid orchestration as I need to call multiple systems and set many values after mapping in the orchestration.

<Prashant> You can move maps to ports as inbound and outbound maps, optimize persistence points, can optimize the calls using Canonical Schemas.

1.        Any other potential impacts?

<Prashant> Normally we always recommend to turn off Global Tracking in production because it improves the performance. If any issue happens then you can enable it again for diagnostics purpose.

Thanks,
    Prashant

Sunday, April 12, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Appreciate your time.

Johns : 2.Yes.  Unless you disable Global Tracking (in Group Settings), then no history is kept.

But I have not disabled the Global Tracking but disabled the tracking on orchestration and when I go to admin console to see the completed instances it says there is no tracking data available. That means it is not keeping history irrespective of the Global tracking is set On or OFF.

Prashant:  I understand from your reply that still we can get no of messages processed, received time, send time etc. Details using BAM even though the complete tracking is disabled. Can you please confirm again.

In Production, I want to use BAM but the entire tracking is disabled to reduce the load and latency. Is it the correct option to choose?

Thanks

JB

Sunday, April 12, 2015 9:10 PM

• Prashant:  I understand from your reply that still we can get no of messages processed, received time, send time etc. Details using BAM even though the complete tracking is disabled. Can you please confirm again.

Thanks

JB

Hi Janardan,

Yes I reconfirm you that BAM data will still get tracked even if Global Tracking is disabled.

As said earlier this is a very general practice followed across the industry to keep global tracking disabled for attaining better performance in production environments and as BAM is a totally different entity it works perfectly fine. The only requirement will be to keep dedicated host to move BAM data from tracking tables within MessageBoxDb to BAMArchiveDb.

Let us know if you still have any doubts.

Thanks.

Thanks,
    Prashant

Monday, April 13, 2015 4:01 AM
  • Yes, unchecking Start/End on each service (Orchestration or Pipeline) or disabling Global Tracking have the same effect, except that Global Tracking applies everywhere. What you're seeing is the expected behavior.

Reminder, while they share some internals, Tracking and BAM are separate features so the state of Global Tracking has no effect on BAM.

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:40 PM
  • Thanks Guys..that's awesome.

JB

Monday, April 13, 2015 11:47 PM