Excel Operations On Web Application RRS feed

• Question

• User-1072029751 posted

Hello,

Need to convert Excel file into a web application, converted application (Current excel file) used for projections. Excel file has set formulae configured and they keep on changing based on requirement, based on input those formulae will project output.

I am wondering what would be the technology /Concept that can be used with in MS to fit this requirement.  

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:23 PM

Answers

• User-718146471 posted

Before I continue helping you figure this out, there are some things you should understand about Excel files in context with web applications. First, they can only be written to by one person at a time. Second, you may be able to read the sheet like a data source; however, depending on its size, the reading could be very slow. There are other issues that can cause you grief. You would serve your users and yourself by turning the excel spreadsheet into a database in SQL. The advantage is you can connect the excel spreadsheet to the data and the accounting people can do their calculation stuff. If you are still hung up on using Excel, there is a product called SpreadSheet Gear (paid-for component) that will give you that functionality. Give it some thought and let me know what you decide to do.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:55 PM

All replies

• User-718146471 posted

Before I continue helping you figure this out, there are some things you should understand about Excel files in context with web applications. First, they can only be written to by one person at a time. Second, you may be able to read the sheet like a data source; however, depending on its size, the reading could be very slow. There are other issues that can cause you grief. You would serve your users and yourself by turning the excel spreadsheet into a database in SQL. The advantage is you can connect the excel spreadsheet to the data and the accounting people can do their calculation stuff. If you are still hung up on using Excel, there is a product called SpreadSheet Gear (paid-for component) that will give you that functionality. Give it some thought and let me know what you decide to do.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:55 PM
  • User-1072029751 posted

Hello BB,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As of now, Excel being used to achieve functionality (Calculations) explained above without connecting to database. We have gone through all the challenges that are explained by you when using excel, thinking it is time to explore alternative to achieve same functionality without Excel and which does all the operations of more  of like excel with in web application.<o:p></o:p>

It will be great if you can share any ideas related to this just like SpreadSheet Gear!<o:p></o:p>

Monday, May 9, 2016 1:53 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

You could also explore integrating with Google: https://developers.google.com/google-apps/spreadsheets/

Monday, May 9, 2016 2:30 PM
  • User-1072029751 posted

Thanks for your input Mike.

Monday, May 9, 2016 2:46 PM