none
Windows 8 Embedded Standard Licence RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am part of Microsoft Partner Network and my question is about Windows 8 Embedded Standard Licence.

I am confused by statement that Windows embedded cannot be used as general purpose computing device. Also it's not for internal use.

I though i can use Windows 8 Embedded as a base operation system for remote client for our thin PCs.  Perhaps i just don't fully understand what "general purpose computing device" exactly means, but is Thin PC a general purpose computing device ? :)

Thank you very much for your answer.

Monday, January 6, 2014 3:17 PM

Answers

• This forum is for POSReady. For future reference, the WES8 forum is over here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=wes8.

Windows Embedded is used by OEMs building Embedded devices like Digital displays, ATM machines, industrial computers, etc. Basically a single or limited functional device. Since Windows Embedded 8 Standard/Industry are based on Windows 8, Microsoft doesn't want customers using the embedded products to compete against the desktop products sold by DELL, HP, Samsung, Sony, etc. If you mean by Thin PC as Thin Client, the idea of a thin client is that it has limited storage and memory doesn't allow for end users to install whatever they want. The idea is to have a few local applications, but connect to backend office services.

I suggest you contact a local Microsoft Distributor for more information.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:57 AM

All replies

• computer is a general purpose device that can be programmed to carry out a set of arithmetic or logical operations. Since a sequence of operations can be readily changed, the computer can solve more than one kind of problem.

So to complete a difficult task such as calculating algorythms, Embedded is not recommended software for this task.

• Edited by MarhanM Monday, January 6, 2014 3:22 PM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 3:22 PM
  • This forum is for POSReady. For future reference, the WES8 forum is over here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=wes8.

Windows Embedded is used by OEMs building Embedded devices like Digital displays, ATM machines, industrial computers, etc. Basically a single or limited functional device. Since Windows Embedded 8 Standard/Industry are based on Windows 8, Microsoft doesn't want customers using the embedded products to compete against the desktop products sold by DELL, HP, Samsung, Sony, etc. If you mean by Thin PC as Thin Client, the idea of a thin client is that it has limited storage and memory doesn't allow for end users to install whatever they want. The idea is to have a few local applications, but connect to backend office services.

I suggest you contact a local Microsoft Distributor for more information.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:57 AM