none
Is there a way to create 'promotional codes' that can be used to purchase only a particular app?

Question

• Windows Store Apps at the time of purchase have an option of putting in 'Promotion Codes'. Question is where do I get them from? And can I 'create'/'purchase' promo codes that work for a particular app only (not looking for Windows Store gift cards)???
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks Sheng!

For those who don't want to click on the link the answer is NO. You have to roll your own scheme!

Finally, I am still not sure what codes can one possibly put in the box the Windows Store presents, probably Store Gift Card details or something! Can anyone confirm?

-Sumit.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Hi Sumit,

Just to clarify, are you asking how to generate codes for users of your app? Could you also possibly provide a screenshot of the box you are referring to?

Thanks,

-Jonathan

Windows Store Developer Support

Office Store Developer Support

Friday, February 7, 2014 12:58 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I tried replicating but wasn't able to get the exact popup that came during the last purchase. But I guess it's the same as the one that comes up in the Store App (8.1). (http://sdrv.ms/1bisfmv)

I know Gift Certificates can be bought directly from MicrosoftStore. I was wondering if 'Promotional Codes' that can be used to purchase a particular app only can be bought also. These could be then used in Giveaways and similar Promotions.

Thanks,

Sumit.

Monday, February 10, 2014 9:15 AM
  • I'll chime in:

The only place I've seen a place to enter PROMOTIONAL CODES are when you right click (or pull down from top) in the store and click/tap "Your Account" there is a place there to enter it.

But I've never seen it appear when making an app purchase.

-Rob

Monday, February 10, 2014 1:48 PM
  • Thanks Rob, that's the picture I posted now. Even if we can do what I am requesting via this workflow, it's fine by me. But I think it's not allowed as of now.

If promo codes are not allowed the answer by Sheng should be marked as correct.

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Thanks Rob, that's the picture I posted now. Even if we can do what I am requesting via this workflow, it's fine by me. But I think it's not allowed as of now.

If promo codes are not allowed the answer by Sheng should be marked as correct.

I think they would not allow an app developer to do this, because this would allow the app developer to "sell promotional codes" for their app, bypassing the Microsoft 30% commission on each sale. 

-Rob

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Rob, not sure if I follow through the 'evil genius' workflow, but here is what I was thinking:

1. I as a dev of an app buy 30 promo-codes each worth the same as my App (say $1.99). The promo-codes could have an overhead charge of say x% so when buying I actually pay cost of my (App + Overhead) x 30 OR (App x 30) + Overhead.

2. These codes are tied to my App so can be used to purchase my app only.

3. I give out these codes (for free or via some promotion like Tweet on Twitter/ Like on Facebook yada yada).

4. User, uses the code while purchasing my App, MS deducts it's 30% and I get back my 70%.

End result, user gets the App for free (thanks to the promotion), MS doesn't loose its 30% and gets a couple of % more. I put it in my Marketing cost. Win for everyone?

I don't see how I can 'sell' these codes for higher than the price of the App, because the end user will then buy from the App Store directly. And this could be limited in numbers on a per App/Month or Year.

I know some apps in the iOS App Store support this, whether it is custom implementation or part of Apple's framework I don't know.

It's basically the same as Gift Cards, except it's tied to an App!
    ******************** After a shower break ********************

Come to think of it, if accounting gets too troublesome I don't mind if devs don't get any money from Promo codes at all! After all it is promotional, so go the whole hog!

• Edited by sumitkm77 Monday, February 10, 2014 4:17 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Hello All,

The Store does not support promotional codes for specific apps.

However, you may post your desire for this feature by adding your comments to the Dev Center feedback site where it will get the most visibility since the team that makes these decisions actively reviews the suggestions received.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

Windows 8 UI Developer Support

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:16 PM