How do I add Calculated Fields to every query in the Data Model? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have created 60 queries and added them to my data model in Power Pivot/Excel 2016. I created some calculated fields for one of my queries but I would LOVE to know how to just copy these across all queries in the data model instead of having to create them in the data model for one query at a time. That will take forever. 

Are there ANY shortcuts or quicker ways?

Please help. Thanks!

Jenn

Thursday, November 12, 2015 12:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Jenn,

According to your description, you want to know if there are any shortcuts or quicker ways to create calculated column for 60 queries, right?

Based on my research, there is no such a functionally to work around this requirement. Based on my test, we cannot create calculated column for multiple table at a time. If you have any concern about this behavior, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback and hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release after official confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:39 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:40 AM

All replies

• It is entirely unclear what your requirements are.

When you say you have 60 queries what do you mean? You have 60 tables in your Power Pivot model populated from Power Query queries?

Are there relationships defined between these tables? What facts are you trying to measure?

GNet Group BI Consultant

Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:07 AM
  • Can you please let us know more about your model?

Cheers,

Amit Tomar

---------------------------------------------------

Please mark this as answer if it solved your query

Please vote this as helpful if it solved your query

---------------------------------------------------

My Blog My Wiki Page

Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:43 AM
  • Hi Jenn,

According to your description, you want to know if there are any shortcuts or quicker ways to create calculated column for 60 queries, right?

Based on my research, there is no such a functionally to work around this requirement. Based on my test, we cannot create calculated column for multiple table at a time. If you have any concern about this behavior, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback and hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release after official confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:39 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:40 AM