Cannot open Properties Window for custom project in Visual Studio 2012 solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We've an integration to Visual Studio from our project using a VSPackage developed in VS 2005 which creates a custom project(extension .cw) with its own editor using our own templates. We were able to open project properties window(right click on project in solution explorer and select "Properties" context menu item) for our custom project in VS IDE in VS 2005 and VS 2010, but not in VS 2012. Selecting "Properties" context menu item in VS 2012 is doing nothing, not opening the properties window nor throwing any exception. Could someone suggest what the issue could be? Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards,

Rama  

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:11 AM

All replies

• Could someone please respond to my above query?

Thanks,

Ramakrishna

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:04 AM
  • Can you verify what the GUID:ID pair is that identifies the Properties command you're invoking here? Also where in your project type do you handle the command? Specifically, do you have an IOleCommandTarget.Exec somewhere that handles this command?

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 5:09 PM
  • Hello Ed,

I am not sure of the GUID:ID pair. Where can I find it? The properties window that should be shown is similar to any other project properties window as below which contains Application, Build, Build Events etc tabs which will be used for setting project properties. In VS Package code, I found a couple of places where IOleCommandTarget interface members were implemented, but didn't find in them the implementation related to opening of "Properties Window". If needed I can post related code for further analysis of the issue.

Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:16 AM
  • I've provided requested info above. Could you pl. respond to it?

Thanks,

Ramakrishna

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 4:55 AM
  • Use the EnableVSIPLogging registry value as described in the following:

Using EnableVSIPLogging to identify menus and commands with VS 2005 + SP1

For VS 2012 you'll need to add the above mentioned value to correctly versions registry key instead of HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\General

The resulting VSDebug Message box, will contain the guid and id (the CmdID) of the command you attempt to invoke when you select the "Properties" menu item while holding down CTRL+SHIFT. 

I suspect that the cmdID's may be different between the versions of VS you are integrating with.

Ed Dore

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, ED. I did exactly what was said above and am providing screenshot of "Alt+Enter" key combination after the changes were applied. Pl. have a look and suggest what needs to be done.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:34 AM
  • Hello Ed,

Could you please provide an update on the issue?

Thanks,

Ramakrishna

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:02 AM
  • Hello Ed,

Awaiting reply from you on this.

Thanks,

Ramakrishna

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:23 AM
  • Hello Ed,

Hope you are doing good. This is a customer issue pending for quite sometime now to be fixed. We did exactly what was suggested by you in the response above and attached the result for your reference. Request you to pl. look at the screenshot and suggest us with any further steps.

Thanks,

Ramakrishna

Monday, March 18, 2019 7:50 AM
  • Hi Rama,

Those values correlate to the CLSID_StndardCommandSet97 guid and the cmdidPropSheetOrProperties command id, as defined in stdidcmd.h

So basically you are attempting to invoke the Property sheet or Project Properties Designer associated with your project. 

Did your project type previously support the project properties designer? Or did it just display a set of property pages like VC++ projects do?

How exactly did you construct your custom project type? Is it native or managed code? Does it leverage a particular version of the Hier7Util lib, or MPFProj sample code? VS 2005 was a LONG time ago, and I cannot recall what may have changed between 2005 and the newer versions of VS.

Generally speaking this command is typically handled by the shell, dependent upon the sort of properties your project hierarchy supports (VSHPROPID_SupportsProjectDesigner, VSHPROPID_ProjectDesignerEditor, VSHPROPID_CfgPropertyPagesCLSIDList, etc).

Your best bet might be to open a paid support ticket with Microsoft Developer Support, as they can probably assist you better in debugging through a repro, by collecting a time travel trace dump to try and understand how that cmdidPropSheetOrProperties command is (or isn't) being processed.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Monday, March 18, 2019 7:33 PM
  • Thanks for the response, Ed. Our project previously supported project properties designer and the project was built with managed code using MPFProj sample.

Sincerely,

Ramakrishna

Thursday, March 28, 2019 4:26 AM