none
Adding TF.EXE to Visual Studio 2019 Community RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using VS 2019 -- latest updates/patches -- on a Windows 10 computer but looks like I don't have tf.exe on my computer.

How do I add it to my configuration so that I can run tf commands?

Thanks, Sam

• Edited by imsam67 Monday, July 29, 2019 5:11 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Sam,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

As I know, Tf.exe is the tool comes from Azure development workload. So you need to make sure you've installed corresponding workload and components, if not, please Go Tools menu=>Get Tools and Features to install the Azure workload.

Then you can find tf.exe in path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\TF.exe

And I suggest you can run the tf commands by Developer Command Prompt for Visual Studio (It automatically sets specific environment variables for you. so you don't need to navigate to the path where tf.exe exists manually). Also, you can consider adding the path of tf.exe to system environment variable.

Hope it helps. Any feedback would be expected.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 4:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

As I know, Tf.exe is the tool comes from Azure development workload. So you need to make sure you've installed corresponding workload and components, if not, please Go Tools menu=>Get Tools and Features to install the Azure workload.

Then you can find tf.exe in path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\TF.exe

And I suggest you can run the tf commands by Developer Command Prompt for Visual Studio (It automatically sets specific environment variables for you. so you don't need to navigate to the path where tf.exe exists manually). Also, you can consider adding the path of tf.exe to system environment variable.

Hope it helps. Any feedback would be expected.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 4:58 AM
  • Great! Thank you for your help!

Thanks, Sam

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:00 PM