Windows 8 Multitasking on a Non Touch Device.

Question

• So I have been using Windows 8 for a couple of days now and I can't seem to figure out why I can't multitask Metro Apps.  I drag an app on the screen like I'm supposed to, but it only gives me the option to full screen the app.  Anyone else with this problem or know how to fix it?  I'd really like to try out this feature because It looks very promising.

• Edited by ensorj Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:43 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:33 PM

Answers

• ensorj,

Your screen resolution needs the be at least 1366x768 to have the split screen available.

• Marked as answer by ensorj Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:06 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:52 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I've seen someone else with that problem running on a virtual machine. However I am running natively and when I go to the left of the screen I don't even get the little app showing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:39 PM
  • AFAIK:

A Metro app can either be running full-screen or docked to the left or right side. You can switch between Metro apps (multitask) by dragging from the left side of the screen or using ALT+TAB.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:41 PM
  • What I am saying is that it wont let me "dock" the app to the left or the right.  I'll drag an app over and the only option it gives me is to full screen the app, not to dock.  It has the animation of docking, but the only one is full screen.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:46 PM
  • It is doable but a little difficult if you have multiple monitors.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:49 PM
  • ensorj,

Your screen resolution needs the be at least 1366x768 to have the split screen available.

• Marked as answer by ensorj Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:06 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Awesome, thanks for the answer.  Also, is there a way to be able to use that app switching feature with more than 3 apps at a time?  I know you can ALT Tab it, but that feature is so handy and I use it all the time.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Well I have a 1920*1200 screen but when i move my mouse to the left of the screen I get no additional apps show. I've tried clicking the mouse. Maybe I need a restart
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:06 PM
  • do you have multiple monitors?  I've noticed when using extra displays that it gets rid of the preview display and the whole switching which screen has the start menu gets all janked up.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Eric,

I have resolution of 1248x800 max and do windows 8 snap feature going to work on that in future

or

it has to be definitely a device with 1366x768?

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:55 AM
  • kura_s,

Screen resolution have to be at least 1366x768 or higher to have a split screen.  It won't work with screen resolution at 1248x800.

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:13 PM
    Answerer
  • ensorj,

Here are the steps to change the App history settings to see more than 3 apps at a time.

1. Click or tap on Control Panel in metro.
    2. Click or tap on Privacy.
    3. Under App history, change number of apps you want to keep in your history.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:21 PM
    Answerer
  • is windows working for that feature on 1248x800 screens as most of the present laptops have that resolution which are running win 7

it would be nice if win 8 beta comes up something on this

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:11 PM