MOSS 2007 Inbound email on Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am running MOSS 2007 in a small farm config on Windows Server 2008 x64 PDC, with Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 BDC and a 2003 functional domain level. So far all has worked great until I went to setup a document library for inbound email and to my surprise Windows Server 2008 no longer has an SMTP server component. After all night searching product documentation, blogs webs for help on this I have come up empty handed, all I can find are articles that are still running MOSS 2007 on Windows 2003 using the SMTP server built into the OS.

Does anyone know a work around from this problem? I did find one blog on using an "Advanced" feature where mail is supposed to place into a drop folder, but it was missing so many steps as to be inadequate for putting all the pieces togeather so I could get it to work.

Here is a screen shot from the Operations page of MOSS which seems appropriate, it what is missing in Win2008, AD or DNS that has me stumped.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 12:10 PM

Answers

•  

I think youi'll find that Windows Server 2008 does have a SMTP Server component.

Try;

servermanagercmd -q | findstr SMTP-Server

Then if you want to install;

servermanagercmd -i SMTP-Server

Then you can use IIS 6.0 Manager which should be installed on the server.

Cheers,

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:33 AM