Activating HORM throws "failed to get horm state error=3" with os image installing on my dynamic disk (mirror volume) RRS feed

• Question

• i built and installed my os image using IBM while selecting a template named Application Compatibility without the EWF-with-HORM feature pack

when i needed this function, i added this package

but after enabling ewf to all volumes- ewf worked normally- and activating HORM, a pricky problem occurred , an error throwed "failed to get horm state error=3"

this computer had two SSDs -one is online and its redundant disk- both were dynamic type i set for some utility

but then i deployed the same image to my another test computer which had , however, a basic disk with a primary volume and two logic volumes, what confused me is that - it operated very well embedded with ewf and horm features

i want to know 1) what this error throwing arises from?

maybe using dynamic disk other than basic disk? or lacking some necessary packages?

2)how can i or api get HORM state its mechanism

related to horm.dat?

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:26 AM

All replies

• 1. Did you run powercfg -h to enable hibernation?

2. If you install Windows 7, does hibernation work normally?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Actually, I have enabled hibernation and it did work, but I cannot activate HORM normally with error hint above.

I installed WES 7 on my device.

My system volume was shown “missing” state, which might cause this failure I guess.

• Edited by teslates Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:46 AM
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:44 AM
  • HORM does not protect dynamic disks. So it isn't going to work for you.

This is in the library under "EWF System Requirements (Standard 7 SP1) MSDN.

Given the speed of SSDs, if you don't need HORM for something special, just letting it boot normally should be fast enough.

=^x^=

• Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:46 AM