jerky movement of mouse over complex elements RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have created WPF application (based on PRISM) and on some machines, especially notebooks we experience jerky movements of mouse cursor when moving over some (more complex) visual elements. It looks like the system is not able to render the mouse cursor continuously so it skips some positions. Does anyone have similar experience? (It occurs on older machines but also on quite powerful notebook - Dell Latitude D830 used for development, although not so obvious as on the slower machine.).

Any help appreciated!

eXavier

Monday, May 10, 2010 1:19 PM

Answers

• Hello Jie,

We already found the problem - it was caused by using transparent window in the application, which as we found (together with some other factors) switchs off any hardware acceleration on XP.

The application is currently in WPF 3.5 SP1 (we did some tests turning sample into 4.0 too), OS is Windows XP SP3. The processor goes to approx 60-70% during moving mouse cursor over the elements. As I wrote it is visible better on notebooks or slower machines.

Transparent window helps us to use ribbons and curved corners. We would need to make some more analysis how we could make the application to run in either transparent-windows mode or non-transparent based on current HW/SW configuration (or maybe be user setting).

Anyway, thanks for response! Hope this info helps others to avoid the same issue.

eXavier

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi eXavier,

Could you let me what are the complex visuals made of? What kind of controls/elements/effects/animations/transformations are you using?

Which version of WPF you're working with? 3.5 SP1 or 4.0?

Which version(s) of Windows is your app running on?

When it gets 'jerky', is CPU usage high?

Thanks,
    Jie
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback, please tell us.

The All-In-One Code Framework Project
    My Blog (in Simplified Chinese)
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Hello Jie,

We already found the problem - it was caused by using transparent window in the application, which as we found (together with some other factors) switchs off any hardware acceleration on XP.

The application is currently in WPF 3.5 SP1 (we did some tests turning sample into 4.0 too), OS is Windows XP SP3. The processor goes to approx 60-70% during moving mouse cursor over the elements. As I wrote it is visible better on notebooks or slower machines.

Transparent window helps us to use ribbons and curved corners. We would need to make some more analysis how we could make the application to run in either transparent-windows mode or non-transparent based on current HW/SW configuration (or maybe be user setting).

Anyway, thanks for response! Hope this info helps others to avoid the same issue.

eXavier

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Great! Thanks for sharing the findings. I'm marking it as answer so others can find this.

Regards,
    Jie
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback, please tell us.

The All-In-One Code Framework Project
    My Blog (in Simplified Chinese)
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:35 AM