SQL 2012 (SSMS) Export Error RRS feed

• Question

• I started using SQL 2012 but I found that when I export the query results into Ms Excel (like I've always done smoothly with SQL 2008) it creates a gap in some records, thereby affecting the visualization of my query result (especially when I apply the filter/sort function to each column header in Ms Excel).

The gap is created within a cell of any record i.e. where a record has:

"first name=Bill -> last name =Gates -> job type=Philantropist" as query result in sql.

When I export this record (among several other records) it returns:

"first name=Bill -> last name =             -> job type=Gates".

Here you will notice the last name is blank and "Philantropist" has been surved to the next column i.e telephone.

To check my query wasn’t the problem, I ran it on SQL 2008 and followed the same procedure (as stated above) and there was no gap between each column of any record

Please can you help?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:41 AM

All replies

• Hello,

To export the results of the query, are you using Copy+Paste or you are saving the resuts as CSV file? If you are using one of those methods, can you try with the other.

You can also provide the query to the Import/Export Wizard and see if you can get the expected format of the data.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

Thanks for responding.

I tried your export suggestions (again) still not working.

Regards,

Olu

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

Run query => Center point at output=> Save Result at csv file. => open file from excel..

check and confirm.

• Proposed as answer by AV111 Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:15 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:15 PM