none
Kinect v2 find coordinates of shape RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, has anybody an idea, for solving my problem?

I have a flat cuboid in size of nearly DIN A4 paper format, and 5 cm height.

How is it possible to find the coordinates of the edges of this area using kinect v2?

thank you very much.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:23 PM

All replies

• Attach some reflective markers to the edges and find them through IR frame looking for reflections/voids.

Check if you can use something like small pieces of duct tape or something that won't alter the shape much.
    • Edited by Nikolaos Patsiouras Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by x3738x Thursday, November 3, 2016 11:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by x3738x Friday, November 11, 2016 9:33 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Thank you very much. That's a great idea! I'll try it.
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Hope it works for you.
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 12:56 PM
  • it doesn't work for me. The kinect doesn't find the reflective stripes if they are in upper area of the depth picture.

Any other ideas?

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:33 AM
  • Well Kinect won't find anything that goes along the outer edges of the frame. You can see that by checking out the IR/Depth frames in Kinect Studio. You will see that the outer edges of the frame are either black or white with a weird pincushion outline pattern around the frame. That is something you're gonna have to accept. It's a constraint of the sensor itself. Try it out without the reflective stripes and see what the frame looks like there.

From my perspective, your only solution is to use the stripes but zoom out so that the entire page is inside the noise-free area of the frame. Like I said, some answers about this approach can be given through Kinect Studio where you have clear visualization of what the sensor perceives.

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:42 AM