none
How to set the response of CheckFileInfo of enable coauthoring of word document RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to Office Web App Server and Word App for a collaborative editor and I am confused when I looked at the Response Body of CheckFileInfo.

Here are my questions:

1. Under SupportsCoauth item says that it must be force, so isn't coauthoring supported  at all at this time? But I saw this post and it seems this option is not only effective but also very important at this time.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-officeapps/office-web-apps-word-edit-without-sharepoint/04bcb968-84ed-43ab-8921-dd69eb4907ac?page=1&tm=1423609283395 

2. What's the difference between TenantId and UserID since their description are the same and I was wondering if they are used to identify different users for coauthoring.

Thanks!

• Edited by Gary Jiang Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:04 PM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:04 PM

Answers

• Hello Gary,

I hope you've been able to make progress on this issue. Since I've not heard from you for quite a while, I'm going to go ahead and mark the thread as answered. If you have further questions regarding this, please make a new thread and we will assist you further.

Best regards,
    Matt Weber | Microsoft Open Specifications Team
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

Thank you for your question. A member of the Protocol Documentation support team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:06 AM
  • Thanks! Actually I also have some problems related to connection between a WOPI server using ASP.NET Webapi controller and the OWAS server based on WOPI. I was wondering if I can ask you for help!
    • Edited by Gary Jiang Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:15 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:14 PM
  • Hello Gary,

I am the engineer who will be assisting you with these questions. I don't have an immediate answer for either question. I see that [MS-WOPI] §3.3.5.1.1.2 states that SupportsCoauth MUST be set to false. I don't think this is correct, but I need to research it further before making a definitive statement. TenantId and UserId appear to be different despite being defined to be exactly the same thing, but again I'll need to do some further research and report back here. I will update you as soon as I have more information.

Best regards,

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:25 PM
  • Hello Gary,

I'm going to be filing a couple of document issues to investigate the SupportsCoauth language from §3.3.5.1.1.2 and the UserId/TenantId ambiguity from the same section and §3.3.5.2.1.2. Thank you for bringing these to our attention! I have not found any connection between the UserId and TenantId fields and coauthoring, so I don't think they are part of the issue you are having with Word not working as you expect it to. I also think that CheckFileInfo response containing SupportsCoauth with a value of false is likely not actually contributing to the problem, as it seems that the product is always returning false.

If my understanding of your questions is correct, you aren't actually implementing MS-WOPI, but are trying to use Office Web Apps Server and Word, and not getting the expected behavior. If that is indeed the case then the best avenue to get help with getting them working will be our product support teams, accessible through either your Technical Account Manager (TAM) if you have one, or through http://support.microsoft.com otherwise.

Regarding your ASP.NET questions, they may be appropriate for this forum or they might also be better suited to product support. Do those questions pertain to the MS-WOPI protocol itself, or are they related to using Web API? If it's the latter I'm afraid we don't have any knowledge of that product, but we are happy to help with any protocol questions you might have. If you're not sure, go ahead and ask and we'll determine whether we can help or if you need to speak with experts in another area.

Best regards,

Friday, February 13, 2015 11:48 PM
  • Thank you Matt. I am trying to build a custom WOPI server that can handle request from office web app server so that I can use office web app hosted on our server to view and edit documents in our database. I ask this question because I need to implement the handler for POST request from OWAS and there is not much information about how to handle specific POST request about coauthoring in Word App. The current situation is I can use Word App to open a word document in edit mode together under different user, but the modification cannot be synchronized in those two editors in real time, like the editor in OneDrive. I have to save the document in one editor and reload that in another and it's really weird.

I was wondering if there is any suggestion for solving this problem. 

Saturday, February 14, 2015 1:22 AM
  • Hello Gary,

I see. Thank you for the additional context. I'll look into this further and see what I can find for you. I will let you know if I need some more information from you. Out of curiosity, are you able to test your scenario using SharePoint as the WOPI server? If so, does it work as you expect it to, or does it behave the same as using your WOPI implementation?

Best regards,

Saturday, February 14, 2015 8:35 PM
  • Hi Matt.

I am trying to use SharePoint as the WOPI server and I finished the deployment and planning according to the documentations you have. When I test it in Central Administration, however, I cannot open a document using Office Web App but my desktop version of Office is opened. Would you please give some help about that? Thanks

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:00 AM
  • Hello Gary,

Setting up SharePoint and Office Web Apps is non-trivial and is somewhat beyond the scope of what we are able to help with on this forum. As we're primarily focused on supporting the underlying protocols, we don't have a lot of experience or expertise in administering the associated products. The guide to deploying Office Web Apps can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219455.aspx. If that still doesn't help, and you want to pursue that end of this further, product support is probably the best way to proceed.

On the topic of your original question pertaining to your WOPI implementation, can you share the details of the POST request you are trying to handle? The only operation I see that mentions co-authoring is CheckFileInfo, which is a GET request, so I'm not sure exactly what request you are processing. Also, my understanding is that the actual handling of document coauthoring is covered by the [MS-FSSHTTP] specification, which is actually where the heavy lifting takes place. See [MS-FSSHTTP] §4.1 and §4.2 for examples.

Please let me know if that helps at all or if you have more information to share about the problem.

Best regards,

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:05 PM
  • Hello Gary,

Have you been able to make any headway on this issue? If you still need assistance, can you follow up on my last post with the additional information about the request you are having trouble with?

Best regards,

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:59 PM
  • Hello Gary,

I hope you've been able to make progress on this issue. Since I've not heard from you for quite a while, I'm going to go ahead and mark the thread as answered. If you have further questions regarding this, please make a new thread and we will assist you further.

Best regards,
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:22 PM