EM2 (Mac) won't render thumbnails RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed EM2 on my Power Mac G5 (2x 2.5ghz) running Mac OS X 10.4.11 and when I drop a folder of images onto the icon, it will only build thumbnails for a portion of the pictures in the folder and then the status bar icon keeps spinning but no further previews get rendered.

For example, in a catalog of 200 images, the first 109 loaded, then it stops. I quit and restart and it gets to 64 images and stops. When I click on a thumbnail for any of the non-rendered images, I get 'rendering disabled' errors. This happens with 1MB  JPEG images from both a point and shoot camera as well as 4MB JPEGs out of a Nikon D300. The images are all unlocked. there does not seem to be any pattern to where or why it stops.

What thumbnails do get loaded are inconsistent with vertical orientation rotation...for example, a series of 100 vertical pictures might end up with 2 or 3 in the middle not being rotated...and I have to fix them manually (even though the files are tagged vertical out of the camera correctly). When I quit and reload the catalog, all the images that I rotated and rebuilt thumbnails for are now showing in an incorrect orientation. This was an issue with EM1 too.

I'd love to just uninstall the program and go back to EM1 (or even iView) but there is no uninstaller.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 7:30 PM

Answers

• This is something we haven't had reported before... I think it might be a video conflict, but to trouble-shoot it effectively we should probably have a support case. Make sure that you have the latest video drivers and the latest version of QuickTime.

If you want to go back to EM 1, you can. First of all, you can install the two of them concurrently. If you didn't uninstall 1, it should still be on your machine. If you trashed it, you can install it again without problems.

If you want to remove Expression Media 2, just drag it to the trash. But I hope you will stick with us and try to figure out what's causing the problem.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley
    Expression Media Online Support

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:37 PM