Will existing data be automatically encrypted during migration of an unmanaged disk to managed disk? RRS feed

• Question

• Will existing data be automatically encrypted during migration of an unmanaged disk to managed disk?
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:31 PM

Answers

• Yes it would: "SSE is enabled by default for all Managed Disks, Snapshots and Images in all the public and Germany regions. Starting June 10th, 2017, all new Managed Disks/Snapshots/Images and new data written to existing Managed Disks are automatically encrypted-at-rest with keys managed by Microsoft
    You can find more details   here and in the official documentation FAQ
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 11:26 PM

All replies

• Yes it would: "SSE is enabled by default for all Managed Disks, Snapshots and Images in all the public and Germany regions. Starting June 10th, 2017, all new Managed Disks/Snapshots/Images and new data written to existing Managed Disks are automatically encrypted-at-rest with keys managed by Microsoft
    You can find more details   here and in the official documentation FAQ
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 11:26 PM
  • I did see that part of the documentation.  I just wasn't 100% sure if the migration process actually results in a new disk in that the data is physically copied from the storage account VHD to the disk, but that must be the case since I see the original Storage Account and VHDs remain after the migration process.  

Thanks You for the clarification

Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:50 PM