none
VVVV Support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to use new kinect for my thesis project to track hand/body gestures of a conductor. For this process I would like to use visual programming software VVVV. Any idea how should I proceed? Is it encouraged to develop an library for open source platforms?

Bests,

Refik

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• The new Kinect sensor will not be available the general public until some time in 2014(no date has been announced yet). We have a Dev Kit Preview program that has already started, but you had to have your application submitted in July. The selected participants are receiving their devices starting this week.

There is an open source wrapper project called Kinect Common Bridge for the existing sensor. It wraps most of the functionality of the current sensor in a C callable wrapper. You may want to use that to get started.

If you want to be considered for the waitlist you can send an email to k4wdevkit \at\ Microsoft \dot\ com. Please provide your name, email, social media account name(s)(twitter, github, codeplex), blog/website address and a summary of the work you are doing and specifically how the new sensor would benefit the project.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Dear Carmine,

I've already got accepted to K4W programme . Now I'm waiting for shipping process. My question was general for people who will be using new kinect for their projects.

Cheers,

Refik

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Hi Refik,

I actually did something similar with the v1 kinect and vvvv last year, and apart from the latency it worked very well! I was tracking people trying to conduct along with the orchestra rather than the conductor himself, he had been recorded, but as i'm sure your aware, conductors can be a little more 'expressive' than correct conducting :)

I'm catweasel on the vvvv forums, if you'd like more info...

Sunday, December 1, 2013 3:39 PM