none
Importing project from another system. Which approach ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am working on a project which imports all project from another system (Nikku) to EPM. All resources used in Nikku are already imported to EPM as Enterprise Resource All information regarding the projects sources are available (project, task, assignment, resource...)

I am asking which is the approach to take when migrate the projects using PSI:

_ Read project source

_ Create new project

_ Create new task

_ Create new assignment (assign already imported enterprise resource)

_ Save project

Or

_ Create new project

_ Build project Team

_ Save project

_ Edit project: add task, assignment

_ Save project

I already tried approach 1 without success. When using the GUID of the enterprise resource, the project won't save at all. If I use a new GUID (local resource), the project will save but obviously, my resources are not enterprise level.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you

Monday, May 9, 2011 4:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks all,

I think I got it right.

-Create a new project with all local resources but keep a ProjectteamDataset with equivalent enterprise resources

-Checkout project

-Call QueueUpdateProjectTeam using the ProjectteamDataSet

-Checkin project

Now the project will use enterprise resources.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Hey,

If they have the option to save as MPP, I would use Project Client and automate it with VBA or a VSTO add-in. It will be a lot simpler and less likely to miss anything.

Chris Boyd
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Project Team

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:24 AM

All replies

• Open project Professional
    • Add the Resources
    • Add the Task in Project
    • Save the Project 
    • Publish the project 
    • close the project professional

Hope this helps!!

PS: our company can also provide the professional assistance for the same

Regards, Sujit - MCTS
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:18 AM
  • hello VFactor,

As far as I remember that you can save the Clarity project as "Save file as MPP" , now teh resources assigned to task will becoem the local resources.

While importing the projects , You can replace the local resources with Enterprise resources.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/import-a-project-to-project-server-HA010148776.aspx

Using the Import Project Wizard, you can set up an existing project file on Microsoft Office Project Server 2007.

NOTE   Before you can import or save a project to Project Server, you must be connected to Project Server. Find links to more information about connecting to Project Server in the See also section.

Start Microsoft Office Project Professional 2007, and then connect to Project Server.

On the Tools menu, point to Enterprise Options, and then click Import Project to Enterprise.

Locate and click the project that you want to import to Project Server, and then click Open.

Follow the instructions in the Import Project Wizard to map local resources to enterprise resources, validate those resources, map task fields, confirm those tasks, and save the project to Project Server.

NOTE   Importing a project to Project Server allows you to add resources to the enterprise resource pool. Resources can also be imported separately.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Amit Khare

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Thanks for helping but I am looking for an answer via programming PSI.

It's a third party software which'll convert hundreds of projects (batch convert)

Thank you

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Thanks all,

I think I got it right.

-Create a new project with all local resources but keep a ProjectteamDataset with equivalent enterprise resources

-Checkout project

-Call QueueUpdateProjectTeam using the ProjectteamDataSet

-Checkin project

Now the project will use enterprise resources.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Hey,

If they have the option to save as MPP, I would use Project Client and automate it with VBA or a VSTO add-in. It will be a lot simpler and less likely to miss anything.

Chris Boyd
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Project Team

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:24 AM