Dynamic IP for Network Gateway? RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up a VPN between Azure Classic and Azure v2/ARM so that I can join Virtual Machines in ARM to my AAD in Classic.

When I create a Virtual Network Gateway in ARM, I alos create the public IP address for the gateway.  Is it ok for this to be a dynamic IP?  Since I enter that IP into the Local Network on the Classic side, will there be a problem later with the dynamic IP address changing?

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:58 PM

Answers

• hello Aaron,

Thank you for posting on the Azure forums!

Yes, it is fine to have the public IP of the VNet Gateway as dynamic since it will not change for the gateway even though the connection is not active. The IP, even though dynamic will be assigned to the Gateways on both the ASM and ARM sides until you go ahead and delete the gateways yourself.

The changing of dynamic IPs happens in case of a VM. So if you shut down a VM and this VM has a dynamic IP it will change the next time you restart the VM. So, like I mentioned before this is not the behavior in case of a VNet Gateway.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Loydon

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer so that other customers can benefit from it.

• Proposed as answer by Loydon Mendonca Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by AaronLST Friday, July 15, 2016 12:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:35 PM