none
Windows Mobile 5.0 emulation using VS2008 on Windows 8.1 Pro PC RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to VS2008 but still need Windows mobile 5.0 device emulation.    The issue is my PC OS is Windows 8.1 Pro.   On execution of Windows mobile 5.0 device emulation it requires Virtual PC 2007.   I attempt to install but it has compatibility issues with Windows 8.1.   I have installed and enabled hyper-v which seems to be the replacement for Virtual PC 2007.   However, I have been unable to get emulation to work.

Do you know if Windows Mobile 5.0 device emulation is possible in Windows 8.1?   If so can you point me to information or a site that describes how to make this possible?

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:07 PM

Answers

• Just tried it. It puts up a warning about missing VPC 2007 (it actually only needs Virtual Machine Network Driver), then runs fine. You would need to cradle emulator for connectivity as network won't work.

Another solution (better IMO) is to work with the actual device. 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:15 PM

All replies

• Just tried it. It puts up a warning about missing VPC 2007 (it actually only needs Virtual Machine Network Driver), then runs fine. You would need to cradle emulator for connectivity as network won't work.

Another solution (better IMO) is to work with the actual device. 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.   Just for kicks I ran the VPC 2007 SP1 and that yielded no compatibility issues and installed.   I then made by network connection to the Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC  and all is well.

Worked as expected.   I am good to go.  thanks.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:02 PM
  • Had the same issue, and is solved.

Solved it by installing the 'Virtual Machine Network Services' on my network adapter.

http://brianpeek.com/post/windows-virtual-pc-and-the-microsoft-device-emulator

• Edited by RuudV Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:29 AM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:22 AM