New column in text file - how to refresh, so that new colums are imported? RRS feed

• Question

• I have imported data from a text file in PowerPivot and have a connection to that text file. The text file has too many rows to import into a Excel sheet. It has 20 columns.

Now the number of columns in that text file has changed: there are 22 columns and I want to refresh my connection and load all 22 columns in my existing PowerPivot table. But it won't work.

If I just click the refresh-button only the first 20 columns are updated.

If I click on 'existing connections' and then on 'edit' the preview windows shows all 22 columns but after save and refresh the two new columns are note imported.

What can I do?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:43 AM

Answers

• Probably you have explicit references to your 20 columns in the import query. If you adjust the code to include the 2 additional columns, then you should be fine.

If that doesn't help, please share some more information like your code and/or some sample data.

• Marked as answer by Karbon76 Friday, March 3, 2017 7:26 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:04 PM

All replies

• Probably you have explicit references to your 20 columns in the import query. If you adjust the code to include the 2 additional columns, then you should be fine.

If that doesn't help, please share some more information like your code and/or some sample data.

• Marked as answer by Karbon76 Friday, March 3, 2017 7:26 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:04 PM
  • How many rows? Have you tried PowerQuery to load the data whose compression holds more than an Excel table. You might be able to load the whole table into a data model connection only, still be able to have your pivot. PowerQueries are easy to develop and maintain- mostly point and click. I have loaded 2 million rows without issue. Although the 64b Office is much more capable of larger files assuming you have more memory.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:41 PM
  • Yes, thanks, that's it. I just had to tick the two new columns on the table properties window.
    Friday, March 3, 2017 7:26 AM