none
RNDIS issue on Winodws 8/10 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently working on with a USB network device using windows provided RNDIS driver and whenever the device is plugged in overall operation of all network applications in Windows becomes extremely slow, it takes several minutes to open Outlook or the Network Connections utility with most of the time getting no response at all. At the moment I pull out the device USB cable everything is released suddenly and all pending windows open at once. This issue is not present when I run the device on a computer running Windows 7. Can I get some help identifying and fixing this problem?
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 2:11 PM

All replies

• The Windows Performance Toolkit, part of the Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK), contains the Windows Performance Recorder (WPR) and the Windows Performance Analyzer (WPA). These tools will help you diagnose the problem. There is a rather steep learning curve, but there are plenty of video tutorials on Channel 9

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:13 PM
  • So, it seems like my RNDIS gadget has a higher priority in the network then Windows network applications. This causes the network applications to continue to wait until the RNDIS gadget is disconected to resume connnection with the network. Is there a way to have both processes work at the same time?
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 7:20 PM
  • That is almost certainly an incorrect diagnosis. Why do you believe this to be true? (USB devices, as a rule, interrupt at a lower IRQL than important devices such as disks and video) So, unless your RNDIS device is blasting a phenomenal amount of data to the system, the RNDIS device and its driver are not to blame.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:02 PM
  • Then why would this problem only occur while the RNDIS device is connected?  The network applications were literally sitting idle waiting to talk to the network, then when the RNDIS was disconected they began talking again. What would be a better explanation in your opinion?

It was originally an issue of the RNDIS bogging down my whole computer until an update more recently (unsure which) with Windows 10. Now it is just the network applications that load slowly. If that gives any other information on the situation.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:44 PM
  • I didn't write that the device or the driver weren't at fault; just your assumption that it was somehow related to device priority. The only way to determine the root cause of the problem is to use WPA

-Brian

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:51 PM
  • I think he means the interface mertrics, not IRQLs.

@zcasav, can you post result of "route print" before and after plugging the RNDIS device?

-- pa

Thursday, June 15, 2017 12:34 PM